Last November we've had an outside XR12 Trane unit installed by one of the larger local AC companies. During the first really hot week we've started to have problems.

First technicial that visited found a small freon leak in a dryer, replaced it -- yet the AC didn't cool.
    The second tech diagnosed the problem being with reversing valve being stuck, and right now we're waiting for the third tech to come out with the part and replace it.

The questions I have are:
    1) Could the two problems damage anything else in the unit (I understand that compressor overheated and shut itself off) ?
    2) Given it's a new unit, would these two problem justify unit replacement, rather then repair?
    3) If answer to the (2) is yes, is there a universe in which a company would agree to do it?

Thanks to all who will respond!

I don't think it should have hurt anything. The units start in heat mode, so are they sure they are getting power to switch it? Anyway Trane has about the toughest compressor out there so you shouldn't worry. If I were you I'd feel a lot better that its a Trane than most out there. They should take care of you. Example Trane had a piping problem with a new unit the XL19i.... I got a thing in the mail saying that they had some that were not returning enough oil for the low stage compressor. So I get on the phone and I thought this woman that I'd put one in for was going to wrestle before she'd give hers up. But Trane paid for going out and replacing the entire Unit rather than have customer confidence in them go down. This separates them from the rest in my book. I had a Goodman Gas Valve leaking after the furnace shut down so I called them and they said YEA , we been havin a problem with that... I asked them shouldn't you tell your dealers??? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH they'll figure it out. I was STUNNED to say the least..... Relax Trane should be good to you.

Originally posted by aag
    Last November we've had an outside XR12 Trane unit installed by one of the larger local AC companies. During the first really hot week we've started to have problems.

First technicial that visited found a small freon leak in a dryer, replaced it -- yet the AC didn't cool.
    The second tech diagnosed the problem being with reversing valve being stuck, and right now we're waiting for the third tech to come out with the part and replace it.

The questions I have are:
    1) Could the two problems damage anything else in the unit (I understand that compressor overheated and shut itself off) ?
    2) Given it's a new unit, would these two problem justify unit replacement, rather then repair?
    3) If answer to the (2) is yes, is there a universe in which a company would agree to do it?

Thanks to all who will respond!
    Did you have the coil and lineset replaced also?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

well I was kind of wondering about an excess chunk of solder on it myself....... who knows.... we can't see it.