Arrow

g'day!
    I am new to HVAC-talk and new to the HVAC design realm, so I figure I would talk to the experienced out there....
    how do you calculate a heat load on an old existing residential low-rise building (built in the early 70s)?
    Is there a "load sizing" chart for heating as well...?

Cheers.

Lightbulb Yes....

Originally posted by lurner
    g'day!
    I am new to HVAC-talk and new to the HVAC design realm, so I figure I would talk to the experienced out there....
    how do you calculate a heat load on an old existing residential low-rise building (built in the early 70s)?
    Is there a "load sizing" chart for heating as well...?

Cheers.
    Just click on this Bulls Eye at the top of this page
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

There are several ways of performing heat loss / gain calculations and many computer software programs that make the job easier and faster.
    I would suggest that you learn the basics of manual J & N, the step by step spreadsheet books with supplemental instuction included.
    It makes using the computer software easier and gives you a more thorough understanding of the principles used for calculating heat loss and gain.

Thanks for the input CB.
    I was more curious as to how a heat load estimate would be conducted in the absence of plans indicating the structure of the building....I guess this comes with experience, and knowledge of "typical" building constructions.
    Cheers.

Originally posted by lurner
    Thanks for the input CB.
    I was more curious as to how a heat load estimate would be conducted in the absence of plans indicating the structure of the building....I guess this comes with experience, and knowledge of "typical" building constructions.
    Cheers.

Just curious, but how are you going to design an HVAC load and system to a non-existing building without knowing what the structure particulars are?

Just curious, but how are you going to design an HVAC load and system to a non-existing building without knowing what the structure particulars are? [/B][/QUOTE]

Good question.

lurner;

You cannot calculate loads and design a system without first inputting the data and specs for the house you have in mind.
    Manuals J,D & N can be purchased to help you along.
    Good luck and cheers to you

[Edited by lusker on 04-14-2005 at 04:09 PM]

So, basically, if someone wants to replace there furnace/heating system, you would typically replace it with another unit with similar output capacity? Am I right?

Otherwise, you would HAVE to know the composition and structure of the building to conduct a heating load re-estimate. Right?

Cheers.

Yes, that's correct.
    In N.C., we are supposed to verify and be able to provide a load calculation for all replacement work as well as new construction just in case the previous load calc was done incorrectly.
    One cannot assume that previous load calcs are correct

[Edited by chillbilly on 04-14-2005 at 04:24 PM]

Excellent! Thanks.