Carrier Infinity and Skuttle 60-1

My HVAC dealer installed a Carrier Infinity controller and a Skuttle 60-1 humidifier and I noticed that the humidifier is not working. They connected the 24 VAC HUM and COM outputs directly to the input connections on the Skuttle. Based on further review it appears that this will not work and has never worked. They did not leave any other Skuttle equipment behind.

It appears based on the Skuttle wiring diagram that the two terminals on one of the connectors are a constant ground (black) and a switched ground (yellow). It appears that the 24VAC is generated from an internal transformer when their is a ground on the switched input terminal.

http://www.skuttlehumidifierparts.co...structions.pdf

1) How should I hook this up to work with the Carrier Infinity controller? It appears that I need a 24VAC relay that completes a ground circuit (yellow) when there is voltage between the HUM and COM carrier outputs. If so, what is a good relay to use?

2) Under what conditions is there 24VAC between the HUM and COM outputs? It appears there is voltage when fan is not running. Actually, I cannot get the Carrier to stop generating the 24VAC on the HUM and COM outputs. If this is so then the Skuttle will boil the water when there is no air flow. This does not seem right.

On a new install I'm not sure why you're here looking for answers on a forum that states in it's rules no Do It Yourself info.

If it was my system and wasn't connected correctly after I paid my dealer to install it, I'd be calling them to fix it.

The unit has been installed for over a year without anyone noticing the problem. I also do not want to call them back after they made this basic mistake.

I just read the rules and sorry for the oversight. I appreciate your time and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMorsberger View Post
    The unit has been installed for over a year without anyone noticing the problem. I also do not want to call them back after they made this basic mistake.

I just read the rules and sorry for the oversight. I appreciate your time and understanding.
    A good HVAC company warranties their work. You may want to give them another try as it may have been an oversight. If you are still dissatisfied with their quality then I suggest asking around for referrals.
    Every problem gives us the opportunity to choose from several solutions: stupidity, ignorance, indifference, or brilliance. Which one will you choose?

Actually, with the infinity controller--the infinity controller is supposed to control the humidifier thru the HUM terminal. It might be hooked up correctly and it just might not be working. Or it could be a setup in the controller itself needs to be adjusted. So call them back out.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Any good referrals in Maryland? I have a HVAC company I will call next week.

The humidifier wiring install manual states, "Humidifier terminals provided on the heating system control board should NOT be used for wiring the steam humidifier."

The Infinity install manual states, "Do not apply 24VAC fan powered humidifier (with internal power supply) direct to indoor unit HUM and COM terminals." Not sure if the Skuttle is considered a fan powered humidifier but I don't think it has a 24VAC input.

Any good referrals in Maryland? I have a HVAC company I will call next week.

The humidifier wiring install manual states, "Humidifier terminals provided on the heating system control board should NOT be used for wiring the steam humidifier."

The Infinity install manual states, "Do not apply 24VAC fan powered humidifier (with internal power supply) direct to indoor unit HUM and COM terminals." Not sure if the Skuttle is considered a fan powered humidifier but I don't think it has a 24VAC input.
    You have a communicating system and it does not use "standard" wiring. the infinity controller can ONLY control a humidifier thru the HUM terminal - and even the way it does it is not "standard". The skuttle should be controlled by the infinity controller and there are ways to do it. Why use the skuttle humidistat when you paid for a top of the line Infinity controller?
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!