Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I saw on the Trane compressor post that Trane uses a scroll compressor. Is that true also of the A/S brand .As far as I can tell A/S could be using a reciprocating compressor based on some old information on the web. A/S web site does not address this.

Exactly the same as Trane.

Some scroll, some recip.

I am interested in whether the A/S Allegiance 11 a/c 2A7A10481000A is a scroll or a reciprocating. If its a reciprocating, how far up the line do I need to go to get the scroll. From prior posts seems like the scroll is more reliable.

Last I knew, the 10 SEER Allegiance 11 and XR 11 line was all recips. If you went to the Allegiance 12 or XR12 you would get a scroll.

The bald one is correct

Question

Thanks for your replies. Now the question is it worth it to go to the allegiance 12 for the scroll compressor and slightly better efficiency. I understand scroll is quieter but unit is in a location where that is not an issue. Found a prior post where there was controversy about whether recip last longer than scrolls. As far as increased efficiency, would the increased efficiency be reflected in the SEER rating or would it show up some where else?

i would take a scroll over a recip compressor every time.
    reliability of the scroll in our experience has been incredible. not only that but scroll is said to become more efficient as it wears in opposed to recip that wears out as pistons and cylinders wear.

You may want to go with a 13 seer unit. In 2006, manufacturors will not be making 10 and 12 seer units due to EPA guide lines.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Coolwhip, since they will only make 13 seer in jan 2006 and beyond, does that mean that people who buy 10,11 or 12 SEER now, may have limited parts availability in the future?
    I would think the large installed base would keep the parts available. Is there another reason to go to 13 SEER? In the chicago area our cooling costs make the higher efficiency less cost efffective. Thanks.

trane a/s compressors that are non scroll are as good as they get in this industry ... it the only one we use on heat pumps ...

You could install an accumulator and get the same effect. It just so happens it is built in and the price reflects that. A robust compressor non the less.

However, a scroll has inherent defense against failing at the same level a recip does from a slug. The sump in a scroll will generally hold alot more refrigerant and deal with the slug better as it does not have the brittle suction valves a recip does. It should be noted that all compressors require oil and constant flooding will eventually cause compressor failure from a lack of lubricant.

Originally posted by airman1
    trane a/s compressors that are non scroll are as good as they get in this industry ...
    Are they still being built by GE?

I think Bristols are built by Black&Decker aren't they.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    I think Bristols are built by Black&Decker aren't they.
    I thought it was Cracker Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast