I received a new customer that has a problem with a State Power Vent WH loosing the pilot several time a month.

State Select Modem #PR65ONOVT
    50 Gal 40,000 BTU Nat Gas
    38' of 3" PVC 2 9o's 4 45"s

Thermocouple changed out several times, any other thoughts before I install a new. Would rather fix and get a good customer, that will bring in more $ by word of mouth.
    Many thanks, TGD

Id start looking at the gas valve as the culprit,check the thermocouple with a milli volt meter before you replace it again,it should be no less than 23 mv

Definetly take m.v reads. Be sure to take a closed (load) read as well as dropout. The 23mv in previous post is pretty high for a closed read. Have seen lots of 22-23 open reads that were actually 0 under load. I'd be looking at around 14-15 closed and 2-3 dropout. Doesn't sound like a tcouple problem unless h.o is forgetting how often tcouple actually replaced. May be high pressure from meter or even a stickng meter (doesn't happen to often)

Also make sure the pilot assembly and pilot orifice are clean.

Look if it has a ECO, you may have a bad gas valve.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

To berad
    Thanks for mentioning the first and most obvious place to start. Sometimes we try and over engineer the problem.

Berad???? why would you even think of telling soemone to clean the pilot? All that fancy equipment will get dusty. Best suggestion of the day. Those water heater have a very small piolt. Can't imagine that they might get carboned up. The orfice nahhhhh.

Your too smart for this business.

Good sugestion, then try the other stuff.

Kudo's
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Don't forget gas pressure.
    Check it with all gas appliances on.

I agree, most pilot problems I find are related to either a dirty pilot orifice or gas pressure problem.

Thanks for all the feed back!!

The gas pressure was fine, and the newly cleaned pilot flame was engulfing the TC.

Need to look at the gas valve a little more.

thanks again, TGD

A power vent? If it has a module, it may be bad. Just changed mine out at home on a Ruud.

The current State water heaters have a sort of smartvalve system and I have had the valves go bad. The previous generation of State poer vent had a standing pilot with a pressure switch and a solenoid in the main burner manifold. If the pressure switch didn't make, the solenoid didn't open and no hot water. For purposes of the pilot on this model just treat it like any othe standing pilot. On the Ruud/Rheem power vent water heaters they used a Honeywell s86 spark module just like the older spark ignition furnaces, they are intermittent pilot and do burn a board occasionaly.

The other day I had a 91 gallon, 300,000 BTU commercial water heater that wouldn't stay lit for more than a few minutes. Another company had been out several times and put in a new gas valve, spark module and pilot assembly. The wiring, thermostat and safeties were all OK (including the spark wire) but the nut that goes to the pilot burner was loose. Turns out when they put in the new pilot assembly, they just hand tightened the nut and put it back together. The loose connection was causing big time problems with flame rectification. It was one of those "that will be $1 to tighten the nut and $119 for knowing enough to tighten the nut in the first place" kind of deals.