Question

I have a 16-yr-old Ruud 2-ton package heat pump that I need to replace, and my local contractor carries American Standard and Rheem. He recommends the Rheem for ease of service and it is about $200 less than the comparable American Standard unit. My upstairs unit is A/Std and was replaced about 3 yrs ago. I wanted to get the A/Std package unit to keep things consistent.

I am not accustomed to people recommending something that is a less expensive alternative.

Any comments on this?

Yea, what kind of salesman is he not to push the more expensive unit

Rheem would be a scroll, A-S probably a recip. I'd take the $200 and the scroll myself.

My Recommendation

I would pay the extra $200 for the American Standard. The A/S is built like a tank. Workmanship, craftsmanship, & RELIABILITY second to none!

Go with the Ruud

save the $200. you'll never know the difference. rheem is a dependable unit.

Cool

Go with the A/S
    Spend a little more & get the 14 seer w/ vs

Definitely go with the American Standard. My 2 yr. Rheem package unit has been nothing but problems. Last problem, rain water getting inside unit. A regional district rep came by to see the unit after my latest problem. His solution to water problem, remove all wet interior insulation in unit and CAULK where water was coming in. Yep thats right, remove wet insulation (not replace) and caulk the unit. Isn't that RHEEM factory warranty and 10 yr. third party warranty great.

Go with the American Standard, unless you want to get RHEEMED, IMO.