Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Thermidistat Dehumidify

Post Likes
    Let me know if this question is out of line. If so, I will understand. In trying to setup my new Thermidistat with 38YDB heat pump and FV4A fan coil(new construction install). I tried to set the dehumidify function on the thermidistat. The manual says that the acceptible values are from 50% - 90%. For some reason, I can't get it to go below 60%. Did the installer forget something, or am I just doing something wrong?

Post Likes
    Let me tack one more question on here. I thought that the thermidistat had an "Ideal Humidity" feature that would automatically adjust the humidity in the house based on the outdoor temp. How would I configure that? I can't seem to find it in the manual.

Post Likes
    bravo3,you need the installation instructions that come with the Thermidistat. That will contain the info. on how to configure your particular system(heat pump).If its new construction,call builder to get the hvac people back to check it.

Post Likes
    Just a guess but have you checked the humidity level setting? It may be set too high and is conflicting with the dehumify setting.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    why didnt you use the infinity and not the themidistat, is leaps and bounds ahead of therm, and very user friendly

Post Likes
    Originally posted by htinglky
    why didnt you use the infinity and not the themidistat, is leaps and bounds ahead of therm, and very user friendly
    cuz he got an FV vice an FE.

Post Likes
    I was able to find the install instructions on Carrier's website, but it says essentially the same thing about the dehumidify that the homeowner's guide says. It just talks about how to set the value and that the valid ranges are from 50-90%. I turned the humidify level of Off, since I don't have a humidifier (in FLA).

As to why I didn't get the Infinity....when I asked my contractor about the Infinity, he told me he wouldn't install them becuase they were too new, and he didn't have any experience with them. Dash told me to ask him to be a guinea pig, but he wouldn't do it. Since the house was built by a builder, he wouldn't let me choose a different contractor. Unfortunately, I found this site a little to late to help me out with that situation.

Thanks gang. I think I might just have the contractor come back out and show me some things

Post Likes
    have him come out and show you it may cost a service call but isn't it worth all the time you spend looking things up, when in reality you may have found the info but have no idea what your looking for or at ???

Post Likes
    when I get home tonight I will go thru my book and post for you.
    I definatly would drop this contractor at the end of your warrenty, the infinity is childs play compared to the thermidistat and much more user friendly.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by kilobravo3
    I was able to find the install instructions on Carrier's website, but it says essentially the same thing about the dehumidify that the homeowner's guide says. It just talks about how to set the value and that the valid ranges are from 50-90%. I turned the humidify level of Off, since I don't have a humidifier (in FLA).

As to why I didn't get the Infinity....when I asked my contractor about the Infinity, he told me he wouldn't install them becuase they were too new, and he didn't have any experience with them. Dash told me to ask him to be a guinea pig, but he wouldn't do it. Since the house was built by a builder, he wouldn't let me choose a different contractor. Unfortunately, I found this site a little to late to help me out with that situation.

Thanks gang. I think I might just have the contractor come back out and show me some things

Here a way to get an Infinity.Get your dealer or another one,to put in a request for a damaged FE air handler,in the size you need.When it becomes available,could be months,they can just swap the controls and blower assembly from the FE into the FV,it will save you a bunch of money.

Post Likes
    I believe the humidifier has a setting that automatically adjusts to outside temperature, to prevent foggy windows, but the dehumidifier does not have this function. When you say you can't get it below 60, do you mean you can't set the thermidistat below 60, or you can't get your indoor relative humidity below 60?

Post Likes
    I can't set the relative humidity below 60%.

Post Likes
    I can't set the relative humidity below 60%.
    I don't have a heat pump, but I can definitely set thermidistat down to 50 on my AC. I would ask the installer what's going on.

Post Likes
    we are mostly heat pumps,and it should be able to be set for 50%.No idea why yours won't go to 50%.

Post Likes
    I'm wondering if somehow the installer didn't setup the stat to indicate variable speed air handler? I also noticed in the install instructions that there was an option for super dehumidify mode (option 7) in the install manual. If this was not enabled (is it even an option with the FV4 coil?), do you think that could have an effect? Like you all said earlier, I guess it is just time to call the contractor.

Post Likes
    as my esteemed collouge stated software switc 7 must be on and so does 5 which signifies variable speed blower.

now try to adjust it lower

Post Likes
    Let me know if this question is out of line. If so, I will understand. In trying to setup my new Thermidistat with 38YDB heat pump and FV4A fan coil(new construction install). I tried to set the dehumidify function on the thermidistat. The manual says that the acceptible values are from 50% - 90%. For some reason, I can't get it to go below 60%. Did the installer forget something, or am I just doing something wrong?
    I have the same Thermidistat,and the same FV4A Fan coil. My thermidistat has the range of 50 to 90. But I find that if I use the cool to dehumidify function the heat pump short cycles at night when the cooling load is low. Any body any ideas?

[Edited by thorton on 04-24-2005 at 11:47 PM]

Post Likes
    The guy's below are absolutly right, go into the configuration mode of your Thermidistat and select option # 5(variable speed blower) on, and option #7 variable speed superdehumidify. I'm sure then you will have the correct range of dehumidify (50 to 90)

Thorton

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thorton
    I have the same Thermidistat,and the same FV4A Fan coil. My thermidistat has the range of 50 to 90. But I find that if I use the cool to dehumidify function the heat pump short cycles at night when the cooling load is low. Any body any ideas?

[Edited by thorton on 04-24-2005 at 11:47 PM]

Cool to Dehum.,should be 10minutes on ,10 off.Is that what you see happening?

Post Likes

Dash

I know it has been a couple of weeks on this one, but I just wanted to get some more info. We had a brief power outage and after that, the stat allowed me to set the humidity to 50(can't figure that one out!!). I also got the installer's guide and check the settings for #5 and #7...both look good. Now, here is the question regarding the cool to dehumidify function that was asked by someone else in this thread. My book says that it will overcool by up to 3 degrees in order to reduce the humidity. I have the stat set to 78 and the indoor temp is 78 with RH of 60. To me, it seems that the unit would come on trying to reduce the humidity until it hit the desired humidity, or 75 degrees, whichever came first. This is not happening though. When there is a dehumidify demand, the unit runs for 6 minutes. It turns off for some time (haven't timed this yet), but then runs again for 6 minutes. Either something is not right, or I have a complete misunderstanding of how this thing is supposed to work. Which is the case here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in