Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dash,

I think I read on here that you are in the Tampa area..I'm just up the road in Gainesville. What are the RH readings that you typically see in your house?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Never more than 55% and that's in rainy ,mild weather,it does run to dehumidify often in that type weather.I have two system one with Infinity ,one with Thermidistat,in this type weather the Infinity is always 1 or 2% lower RH.

In warmer/hot weather it's at the set point or often even lower.

I'm actually in Crystal River,our daughter is at UF ,we bought a condo there in Pick Wick Village two years ago.

BTW it has a Thermidistat as well,but not a two speed.She says it goes to 59% occasionally.She has the lowest power bill of anyone she knows there,13 SEER heat pump system,the rest are <10SEER and electric strip heat.

Last week in Orlando, Florida Air-Conditioning Contractor Ass. (FACCA) had a good presentation for continuing education credits on the limitations of a/c controlling indoor relative humidity. The main point was that without significant cooling load, an a/c is unable to maintain low humidity during high outside dew points. How many lbs. of moisture is removed per hour with a 6 min on/off at what cost? Supplemental dehumidification allows <50%RH without any a/c operation at a fraction of the operating cost. The cost of the equipment about as much as the up-charge of the deluxe a/c.

Dash...congrats on buying real estate in Gainesville. You might be able to retire soon on that! The HVAC contractor said he would come out and have a look at the system to make sure everything is configured properly since it is a new house. If he tells me everything is OK, I will just wait until there is a larger cooling demand. I think one thing that is helping/hurting us is the fact that we have a large unfinished bonus room above the main part of the house. I'm guessing that there isn't a lot of heat laying near the top of the main floor. I'm curious to see what our power bill is going to be as we've only had a partial month bill so far. I really appreciate all you guy's help on this forum.

Just one last follow up on this. I spoke with the HVAC contractor and he said he would come out and have a look at the system. I did find the section that said that in cool to dehumidify that the unit would run a maximum of 10 minutes. Since mine is running for 6 minutes it is definitely in that range. My question is, should it run for 10 minutes all the time, or does the thermostat decide how long it should run? I ask because I don't want this guy to come out to the house and waste his time if it is doing what it is supposed to be doing. If it should be running for 10 minutes, and it isn't, then I would like to have it adjusted because I assume the extra 4 minute run would remove more humidity. With a little more cooling demand this week, the humidity has been around 54...which is much better than the 60+ that it was last week.

Originally posted by kilobravo3
    Just one last follow up on this. I spoke with the HVAC contractor and he said he would come out and have a look at the system. I did find the section that said that in cool to dehumidify that the unit would run a maximum of 10 minutes. Since mine is running for 6 minutes it is definitely in that range. My question is, should it run for 10 minutes all the time, or does the thermostat decide how long it should run? I ask because I don't want this guy to come out to the house and waste his time if it is doing what it is supposed to be doing. If it should be running for 10 minutes, and it isn't, then I would like to have it adjusted because I assume the extra 4 minute run would remove more humidity. With a little more cooling demand this week, the humidity has been around 54...which is much better than the 60+ that it was last week.
    I have the same Carrier Thermidistat, and a Carrier heat pump. In the cool to dehumidify setting my heat pump runs only 5 or 6 minutes, usually at night this happens. I think two things might be happening-the duhumidify set point is satisfied after 5 or 6 minutes(remember cool to dehumidify has it's own set point, independent from the cooling set point)or, if you have one, the evaportator freeze stat is shutting the system down as the evaportor starts to freeze. My thoughts, anyways

Thorton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123