Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Have your guy look at domestic water flow during DWH. Look for low flow. Do you have a water softener?
    This is very good advice for high pressure faults during water heating mode, but it would not explain the high pressure faults during the air heating and air conditioning modes.

Maybe I didn't understand the problem. I thought it only happened when DHW was demanded. I also didn't think there was a combo unit with hydronic capabilities.

I recently traced a high head lockout problem on a Geo Comfort to a bad circuit board. It was the Combo board dropping out the diverter valve and another valve during hydronic heating.

It only happened when all the covers where in place. I spent a lot of time looking for the problem since I'd hook up my test equipment with leaving the cover off. I think heat was the problem with the board.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Hydro Heat units have a seperate heat exchanger for dhw heating and dhw is priority. now is it locking out on high pressure or discharge gas temp, they are 2 seperate things. if it is DGT more than likely it is getting up to cutout temp in water heating mode and dosen't drop fast enough when it switches to space heating, this could be due to low water flow. Is there a water filter installed on the domestic water side, thats a must. does the service tech have the bannanna diognostic tool to plug into the unit

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Hydro Heat units have a seperate heat exchanger for dhw heating and dhw is priority. now is it locking out on high pressure or discharge gas temp, they are 2 seperate things. if it is DGT more than likely it is getting up to cutout temp in water heating mode and dosen't drop fast enough when it switches to space heating, this could be due to low water flow. Is there a water filter installed on the domestic water side, thats a must. does the service tech have the bannanna diognostic tool to plug into the unit
    Isn't the DGT the discharge gas temperature. I had a Hydro Heat unit that locked out on DGT and all I could figure was a bad sensor. The sensor is strapped to the discharge line close to the compressor. If you strap on a thermometer and compare it to what the "banana" reads, you should be able to see if the sensor is faulty.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Smile done guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by nascarcar View Post
    I have a Hydro heat geo system that for two year it keeps locking out on high pressure repair man been here 17 times no help from company
    This is the original post that started this thread. His next post said, the unit is heating water and gets a call for heating or cooling and then locks out. He has yet to give the model or serial or to follow up on any of our inputs so we do not know if he even has a unit that has the banana diagnostics board in it or if it is an older model WTARW. This stands for Water To Air Reversing Water. Without more info, I feel that we are wasting our time guessing what might be wrong, so unless more info comes along I am done replying to this post. Have a great day all and lets try to help someone else.

Interested in learning

Quote Originally Posted by notquiteamish63 View Post
    This is the original post that started this thread. His next post said, the unit is heating water and gets a call for heating or cooling and then locks out. He has yet to give the model or serial or to follow up on any of our inputs so we do not know if he even has a unit that has the banana diagnostics board in it or if it is an older model WTARW. This stands for Water To Air Reversing Water. Without more info, I feel that we are wasting our time guessing what might be wrong, so unless more info comes along I am done replying to this post. Have a great day all and lets try to help someone else.
    Just reading the post under residential geococomfort, I was pretty impressed with your knowledge of Geo. I'm a NATE certified air-to-air heat pump technician and our company (located in central Illinois) just starting to move into Geo-Thermal vary small and slow at first. I have always been one to learn as much as I can about everything that I can, I was Just wondering if you can point me in the right direction to open up a whole new world of understanding. Any Info would be greatly appreciately, thank you in advance for your time and trouble. Also, I find it odd that your status shows up as regular guest, you really should try applying for Professional status...Welcome all the same...........Lone Eagle

Smile flattery

Hi there Lone Eagle. Thanks for the comments. I'll try to not let them go to my head. Sorry the reply took so long, life is very busy right now. Congrats on the Nate. Keep learning all you can in this field. It is ever changing and if you don't like to continue learning, then this is not the right occupation for you. Since you do like to learn, you will find this job interesting, as I do. As for learning about geo-thermals, I would recommend looking at some installation manuals for the various brands and models. A lot of insight can be learned from them. I would also get some service manuals and troubleshooting guides. They often talk about the most common problems. If you have some specific questions, I will try to help you out. I have been repairing geo's, and many other types of hvac systems for the past 24 years. I haven't seen it all, but I have seen a lot.

best regards, Brian Shimp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12