Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beckett afg wont fire

Post Likes
    The unit is not that old, all of a sudden It does nothing. When I hit the reset it starts the prosess but it times out. the oil is good, I seems like there is no flame I have a hot water heater next to it and that has no problems. If anyone can give me a heads up that will be great.

Post Likes
    First, stop hitting the reset and back away from the furnace. Second, call a service company.

Yours,

Helpful service provider.

Post Likes
    how can you heat water that is already heated?
    its just a water heater

Post Likes
    maybe ignition is afu

Post Likes
    Can I test the ignition with a meter?
    And would that be the first place to start?
    Here is a something to ponder!, I changed many thermostats in my day and always remember seeing a little glow or spark when the mercury goes back and forth (old thermostarts) when I move this I see nothing.

Just a thought

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cool-in-cayman
    First, stop hitting the reset and back away from the furnace. Second, call a service company.

Yours,

Helpful service provider.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    Could be many things, from bad or no ignition, bad fuel pump, bad pump coupling etc. Stop hitting the reset and call for service. If the ignition is bad you are filling the chamber with fuel. When it finally lights off you are gonna have a huge mess. I have seen them blow the flu pipes off and spread soot all through a house. Let the service tech know just how many times you have hit that reset button so they will be able to take care of that excess fuel before firing it up. I'm not an anti DIYer, but this is beyond what you can fix safely. Please call your service company for service.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jdenyer
    Could be many things, from bad or no ignition, bad fuel pump, bad pump coupling etc. Stop hitting the reset and call for service. If the ignition is bad you are filling the chamber with fuel. When it finally lights off you are gonna have a huge mess. I have seen them blow the flu pipes off and spread soot all through a house. Let the service tech know just how many times you have hit that reset button so they will be able to take care of that excess fuel before firing it up. I'm not an anti DIYer, but this is beyond what you can fix safely. Please call your service company for service.
    There's nothing better than a good chimney fire to roast marshmellows by ans have a romantic evening. Espeacialy since the only thing you can do is let it burn out and hope it doesn't cause any damage. Call your service company, you will thank us later.

Post Likes
    Change the nozzle and reset the electrodes. Be prepared for a cloud of stinky oil exhaust fumes. IMO, you shouldn't be messing with the burner, but it's your house, your safety at stake too.

Post Likes
    Scotty123

Not trying to be an a-hole here, but its clear from what you've written above that you're in way over your head. Do not touch the electrodes or anything else for that matter. Do yourself a favor and call a service company out. The problem is probably pretty simple, but you can further complicate the situation and possibly injure yourself or others if you don't know what your doing, and clearly you don't.

Post Likes
    If I can rebuild outboard and car engines, I can do this. I just need a jumpstart with some of the terms and do's and donts. I only hit the reset twice in two days, so and build up will be removed when I take the cover off, I will give it a good cleaning.

Post Likes

Talking

Originally posted by scotty123
    If I can rebuild outboard and car engines, I can do this.
    Well, did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Post Likes
    I can fix an oil furncace, does that mean I can rebuild a car engine? No one on this site is gonna give you step by step instructions. One it's against the rules, and two it's a liability issue. If you don't know how to test an ignition transformer, then you have no bussiness messing with this thing. Here's a don't for you, don't touch it, do call a service company. Just out of curiousity how are you going to clean up that oil soaked chamber? I'm not trying to be an a hole here. But if I give you step by step instructions on how to troubleshoot this thing and fix it, what happens if something goes wrong and your house burns down? I won't give instructions, I don't want to be held liable. If you did burn your house down your homeowners insurance won't pay either. Trying to fix something yourself like this is way to much risk for you to take, you could lose your home, or worse you life, it's just not worth it.

Post Likes
    No At Sunset House POS

Post Likes
    Originally posted by casturbo
    Change the nozzle and reset the electrodes. Be prepared for a cloud of stinky oil exhaust fumes. IMO, you shouldn't be messing with the burner, but it's your house, your safety at stake too.

How do you expect him to "reset" the electrodes? Even if he could find them?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    No At Sunset House POS!!!

Post Likes
    try the spark jump test if its good youll jump

Post Likes
    change the filter

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Edmund Forsthe
    try the spark jump test if its good youll jump
    ROTFLMAO
    Maybe he'll jump. Maybe he'll just fall over. Especially if it's 17.5kv.
    Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Post Likes
    hey ive been zapped many a time no mater how hard i try not to. several times i could not even move my hand for a couple of minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in