Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just laid off

As the thread name indicates I just got laid off. I'm looking to work for a good residential Trane dealer in Central Illinois. I am Nate certified with about 7 years experience. I can e-mail a reume to anyone interested. I have many certifications. Any suggestions welcomed. The shops in my area are weak. I worked for the "best" shop in town previously but was tired of getting 10 days per year off and that's it. Most of them were by way of using my vacation days. I put up my two weeks and went to work for a small family oriented shop and regained my family life. Then I was laid off with no recall because they are fropping the hvac side of their bussiness and devoting themselves to plumbing because the hvac part of the bussiness never quite tool off for them. They were very upset to have to let me go, wrote me a nice letter of reccomendation and here I am.

Thumbs up

build yourself a resume for free,and or give some of these guys cold calls won't hurt.good luck http://www.mepatwork.com/JobSeekerPa...teList/IL.aspx
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I know a guy in Chicago who may be able to use some one like yourself. Once again I have no clue how far you are from Chicago or the lay out of Illinoise.

Sorry to hear that you were laid off. I know there are lots of companies in Chicago area looking.
    R2B4BTU

Maxster, Thanks for the link. I do have a resume I'm working on updating to start sending out and pounding pavement. Otto and Swat, unfortunately I'm about 2 1/2 hours south of Chicago. I'm in Champaign Illinois. Although not unwilling to relocate at this point. There's just not many decent shops around me. The decent shops are tough to get into as every tech for 50 miles already has a resume on file with them. I'll have to look hard and hope.Bloomington, Peoria, Springfield, and Decatur are within a reasonable commute.

[Edited by berad on 04-11-2005 at 11:04 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Since your preference is Trane,I'd check Trane's website for dealers in your area and email them directly.

From your posts here I'd think you would not have a problem finding a good job.

Originally posted by dash
    Since your preference is Trane,I'd check Trane's website for dealers in your area and email them directly.

From your posts here I'd think you would not have a problem finding a good job.
    Thank you for the compliment. It's just a bad time of year to be out of work.

Printed resume and hit the bricks today. Have a couple of interested prospects, we'll see how it goes.

What was it like to get NATE certifed , my boss just gave me a packet on NATE. Iam in AZ and thinking about moving to the joliet, area of IL.

Find the nearest Union and join up! Otherwise we are both wasting our time.

Originally posted by fhtech
    What was it like to get NATE certifed , my boss just gave me a packet on NATE. Iam in AZ and thinking about moving to the joliet, area of IL.
    It's not to bad. The tests are worded very tricky. I took classes at ISL and then the tests. The tests were verbatim from the classes so I was just regurgitating what I had just learned.

Originally posted by indian
    Find the nearest Union and join up! Otherwise we are both wasting our time.
    I don't agree. My resume pool is now mostly out of work union guys that are out searching for whatever they can to put food on the table.

I don't have any preference between union or non union. I've managed both and they both have ups and downs.

Doing research with my lawyer and insurnce agent about going self employed as a LLC. Any pro's, cons's, or reccomendations are welcomed. I;ve still been taking my resume around, however since this is still shoulder season around here every one wants to lowball wages. I have enough in savings to wait this out 6 months if I have to, or just work for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast