Thread: r22 or 410a

i will be replacing my furnace & a/c unit and the contractors are pricing r22 and 410a the same.which one should i go for and why?

Well, if they're both priced the same go R410a; R410a is the newer stuff & will be around longer than R22. And - I don't know if this is just my imagination or not, but - I seem to get better temp splits from 410a.

IMHO.

Originally posted by special ed
    Well, if they're both priced the same go R410a; R410a is the newer stuff & will be around longer than R22. And - I don't know if this is just my imagination or not, but - I seem to get better temp splits from 410a.

IMHO.
    No it's not your imagination. Due to the properties of 410 the systems have better splits. We will also be seeing seer rating out of this world come around in the next few years. Go for the 410, it's not on a phase out schedule. LOL

Plus....

410 gives you a better high than 22 when you huff it!

Originally posted by berad
    We will also be seeing seer rating out of this world come around in the next few years.
    It wont be because of refrigerant. Look at your saturation temperatures now. Thermally there is nothing left to be gained.

High side, you have to have subcooling and you cannot subcool to a temp below the ambient temperature (unless you use the suction as a subcooler).

Your saturated suction on high efficiency stuff is already to a point where the leaving end of the coil is darn near dry.

If efficiencies go higher, it will be a reduction in watt input of some sort.

BTW, I agree, go with the R410A.

r410

I would go with 410a. However if the unit is installed properly it will work fine whatever you choose. If the price difference is too much to swallow stick with 22. If it were my house though, I would probably go with 410a.

Same price, go with 410.

Doc, don't be giving the manufactures any ideas about putting sub coolers at the indoor unit, theres enough guys that over charge to get the super heat down so as it is around here.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

TRane and American Standard dont charge more for r410A.

We should all start to sell it.

Originally posted by beenthere
    Same price, go with 410.

Doc, don't be giving the manufactures any ideas about putting sub coolers at the indoor unit, theres enough guys that over charge to get the super heat down so as it is around here.
    Wouldn't think of it, they already know its a bad idea. It is however used in certain commercial applications for specific reasons but efficiency suffers as a result.

Originally posted by a/c-harris
    If the price difference is too much to swallow stick with 22.
    yeah today but service work in 7 years may be a whole 'nuther story.

I use to work on the swann trucks, they all had them. But to get to -20 and stay out of vacuum, they come in handy.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?