Just invested in a Cooper 3 input digital thermometer for taking superheat.Has anyone used this type and is it as practical as they say? I am still trying to get superheat down correctly and this seemed to be a good instrument.

Yes they are good for refrigerant service. You can strp a probe to the suction line, a probe to the liquid line and a probe to the cabinet. Now you are set to super heat and subcool after you wet bulb readings and guage readings of course. Also another double check of unit operation is the delta t across the condenser. With all those probes it would be quick and easy. I myself have a Fluke, but that's what they sell around here.

I think mines the sh88a.

I use it alot.

For both A/C, and refrigeration.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post R410 :-(

I have their actual Super Heat Computer, was great when all we did was R22 but now with R410 tehy have not upgraded their instrument to calculate it...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

That's nice you guys in California have all the cool stuff.
    Did you get that from the state or did you have to buy it.

LOL

No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Thumbs up

before laser thermoms they were and still are the tool of choice on start-ups.for charging hellical by ssubcooling as per factory they are solid always good to pick up some extra probes and even cut in some longer cables for those far reaching temps.had the SH66A for years before the UCMs came out with their digital readouts still back check them!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I've used that model Cooper for many, many years. Only problem has been keeping the 9v battery in place while I bounce it around the roof. The sensors, however, are very fragile, and expensive. Keep care of them.

Dont forget the clamp-on sensor as well. Talk about quick superheat and subcool measurements. Its worth the extra $90.

Is it as practical in comfort cooling? I know refridgeration guys in my company like it but I dont know of any A/C guys that have it.

Originally posted by mickyj
    Is it as practical in comfort cooling? I know refridgeration guys in my company like it but I dont know of any A/C guys that have it.
    Oh yes, that has been our instrument of choice for years. As someone has already pointed out, the probes sometimes are rather fragile, but they will last if you take care of them. I think the ones I have right now with mine are probably close to 5 years old. My thermometer is probably close to 15 years old. The thing has changed very little in that time.

Bobby

Practical...

If it's yours and you haveit, I'd say yes practical. I enjoyed it for many years. Now that I do a lot of R410, I bought the JB SH Tool and retired the Cooper.

I used it alot in new installs, enjoyed the extra temp sensors for out door ambient and it's ability to select refrigerant.

Practical if you have it but not a abousutley required.

Bells and whistles for the tech that buys the toys...

Talking Equipment Allowance

Originally posted by twilli3967
    That's nice you guys in California have all the cool stuff.
    Did you get that from the state or did you have to buy it.

LOL

Used my Tool Stamps for this one. Actually I think it was a fical year end thing and the govenor forced us to take an extra Tool Stamp option to avoid losing next years fiscal Tool Stamp allotments...

Is taking super heat, subcooling, at the same time practical.

If you thing that isn't practical, then no.

Also a meter for doing delta.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

For my money I use the type K thermo-couple w/clamp. I was never comfortable with trying to get a good thermal connection with straps or tape (never felt they were tight enough). The clamp (Fieldpiece)keeps a firm pressure on the tubing.

Someone mentioned an IR temp gauge. Be careful, these seldom give proper readings when used to measure copper line temps.

Thermistor type sensors are great, but remember the accuracy will be degraded if the lead length is changed.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...