Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think Carrier had a problem a few years ago with their stats. Wondering if the Bryant stat is the same. If I recall, it had to have a resistor across R and Y? Or W and Y? I can't remember...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

your stat has a jumper from RC and RH doesn't it?

Is the thermostat that was on there a power stealer type with no common?
    If so, there was a resistor you were suposed to install between C and W at the control board. Without the resister, power stealer thermostats can be flakey in the cooling mode on systems with a control board in the AH/furnace since there may not be a good low impedance electrical path from the W terminal on the control board through the controls to common. Power stealer thermostats have to "fake" a common to work. On a control board the 24v from the thermostat usually goes to a transistor on the board to "switch" the power on to a relay coil on the board, so there isn't a good electrical path for the thermostat to fake a common through..
    The odd thing is, sometimes you can have 2 units with the same board, and it will work fine on one but not the other...

You also need the resistor on AS/Trane air handlers because there is NO electrical path to common from W until the fan relay closes.

There generally isn't a problem in the heating mode since it can fake a common through Y, wich is always low impedance to common through the contactor coil in the outdoor unit.

If you have a way to actually measure the impedance between W and common, generally if the impedance is over 25z, you need the resister, if it is below, you don't need it.

I don't think I have ever seen a meter that can measure impedance that would be in a HVAC techs collection, so I follow a simple rule for power stealer thermostats.
    If W goes to a control board, or the air handler requires a call to G in the heating mode, install the resistor

It scares me that I remember this crap....need a life.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    It scares me that I remember this crap....need a life.
    Sounds like commitment to your profession.
    Keep the post coming they are great.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

bryant stat used common to power up, W/R uses batteries this must be the difference

i will go out there tomorrow, will post results

mike
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Originally posted by mark beiser
    If so, there was a resistor you were suposed to install between C and W at the control board.
    Yea, that's what I was thinking. Seems to me it's a 1K resistor if memory serves me right.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

common was used on all these stats, so resistor was not used.

had one again, now 3 times. in every case, using a w/r fixed it, but builder demands bryant on every stat, unit, even humidifier.

never saw this before, now 3 in 10 days. all of the other units in the 4 subdivisions are working like they should. we are pretty high volume, in my opinion (43 roughs on 2 system townhouses last week), so i see a variety of problems, but this is killin' me!

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12