Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodman GMV9

Question

Two of the three HVAC contractors I have recieved quotes from for a High Efficiency Variable-speed Gas Furnace have offered (among others) the Goodman GMV9 model.

This furnace manufacturer seems to be trying to re-establish itself in our market (Ontario, Canada) after falling out of favour with the contractors - due to high failure rates.

The contractors (one a very large company that installs furnaces throughout Ontario) claim that Gooman's new High Efficiency models are extremely well built and should be every bit as good as the Bryant/Carrier, Lennox and Trane equivalents. Their warranty is certainly better, but I don't fancy having my furnace break down when it's -30 celcius whether there's a warranty or not.

After reading information around the net, I can see that there is considerable Goodman 'bad press' - it's easy to find.

I have 3 questions:

1. Are the new Goodman furnaces REALLY better? i.e. better designed and better built than they were in recent years.

2. Can I expect this furnace to be as reliable as the other brands?

3. Are they almost as quiet as a Carrier/Bryant? i.e. will I hear the furnace in the basment when I'm sitting in the room above?

The price difference and warranty on the Goodman makes it very very tempting, but I don't want to get burned or left in the cold.

Thanks in advance for your input.

A wary furnace buyer.

First off I'm not a Goodman dealer. I have not turned a wrench on a new Goodman. What I can say is htat they look much better built now, and the company has changed hands and adopted new philosophies. Ultimately only time will tell.

The GMV9 series is an Amana furnace that has been given nothing but rave reviews throughout the past several years.

The Goodman version has an aluminized heat exchanger instead of the Amana stainless steel heat exchanger and has a different ignition system.

As long as you have this furnace dual pipe installed you should have years of service from it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    I was a long time converting over to goodman because of past experiences, however the quality seems to be there

Sorry I still don't see the quality compared to the others. Went to a house the other day and they said NOOOOO Goodman...their neighbor had a GMS9090 put in and it's broken down 4 times in the first winter.....

Originally posted by RoBoTeq

As long as you have this furnace dual pipe installed you should have years of service from it.
    Do you really feel that this is an important issue?
    (besides infiltration)

If so, please explain why this would affect the unit's longevity.
    (unless it's in a highly contaminated area, which is not likely in residential)

Originally posted by airconman
    Sorry I still don't see the quality compared to the others. Went to a house the other day and they said NOOOOO Goodman...their neighbor had a GMS9090 put in and it's broken down 4 times in the first winter.....
    If you seen the install, you might just understand way this unit is failing!

I would bet money that there are several issues with ANY install, where the equipment has that many failures in the first few years of service.

P.S. Not to mention, who knows whether the tech is properly diagnosing the unit!

[Edited by jultzya on 04-14-2005 at 03:06 AM]

question for the Goodman fans..... have you ever put anything else in but Goodman? If you have you can see a big difference and YOU KNOW IT!!! Coming to this site anymore you'd swear Goodman is the top of the crop, But its not and you people know it.

Originally posted by jultzya

(besides infiltration)

The only hing I can think of is besides infiltration is to keep indoor chemicals like detergents and such from fouling the flame sensor.

Originally posted by jultzya

(besides infiltration)

This is a major issue with all condensing furnaces. Indoor air quality of homes is horrible. Most homes have air quality that contains 3 times the pollutants allowable in chemical plants.

Perfumes, deoderants, skin flakes, powders, kitty litter, air fresheners (a biggy), scented candles (even worse), hair spray, scented soaps...you name it, if it has a scent or can become airbourne, it is putting toxic and harmful particulate and chemicals into your homes air. High moisture content is also harmful to furnace parts.

Add to that how tight homes are currently being built with little if any means of fresh air exchange and you have a real nasty solution being used as combustion air.

NOW! Heat that crap up and turn it into some even worse chemicals including acids when this stuff hits the burners and hot surface ignitors and you are really putting the hurts to your furnace. Of course once this nasty solution cools down and condenses into a liquid, it then proceeds to attack the rest of the furnace.

Please...don't treat your condensing furnace like you treat your bodies

With no specifics there can be no determination. I think maybe you are upset at not getting that job

question for the Goodman fans..... have you ever put anything else in but Goodman? If you have you can see a big difference and YOU KNOW IT!!! Coming to this site anymore you'd swear Goodman is the top of the crop, But its not and you people know it.
    I've installed just about every brand out there and have repped for several also. No, Goodman is no more the top of the crop then any other brand. It is however comparable to other brands when similar features are compared and you are usually going to pay less for the same features.

There are specific features that one brand has over other brands with every brand. Goodman has its market just as every other brand has theres.

And yes, I did put Goodman equipment in my parents home...and they love it.

I still think the Goodman are junk. If you want a excellent furnace, go with a Rheem. Rheem also has the quitest line of furnaces. The Rheem Mod90 is the only furnace that has a variable gas valve.

What you want in a furnace is a complete stainlees steel heat exchanger, direct spark ignition, quit running, and dependable. I would also check through the other HVAC forums on the web and see what furnaces people seem to have the most problems with. In my opinion the top 2 furnaces out today are Rheem and Trane.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast