Thread: New to HVAC, 25 years in the Oil Heat industry

Post Likes

New to HVAC, 25 years in the Oil Heat industry

Hi,

My name is Brian and I've been working as an oil heat tech for about 25 years now. Last April I was laid off because the company I was working for decided to go into AC too and where able to lay off out of order because of this. Can't blame them for trying to stay in business in these rough times.

So I'm upgrading my skills right now. I just completed my first semester in the HVAC Certificate Program though Suffolk County Community College. I enjoyed the AC course in September and did pretty good. Scored a B+ for the course and obtained Universal Certification from Ferris State University. Does this certification mean I know what I'm doing? No! I have a lot to learn.

Just about to begin my second semester and am looking forward to this summer. I have two more semesters after this one if I want to get my certification from SCCC. But I'm thinking of continuing and getting my Associates Degree. I have plenty of time to decide.

So I'll be checking out the site and trying to get some knowlege from the experts out in the field. Thanks for a great web site.

Brian
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes

Thumbs up

sounds like you are on the right track. stick with it. Abe linclon once said I will study and prepaire myself. then one day it will pay off. or something to that effect. there is a lot of questions on this site about oil heating. you should fit right in. we need pros like you to help answer the questions.
    a wealth of information on the forum. I wish you well.
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cboe View Post
    sounds like you are on the right track. stick with it. Abe linclon once said I will study and prepaire myself. then one day it will pay off. or something to that effect. there is a lot of questions on this site about oil heating. you should fit right in. we need pros like you to help answer the questions.
    a wealth of information on the forum. I wish you well.
    Thanks Cboe,

I'm enjoying the school and will help out with oil heat questions when I can.

Post Likes
    Welcome Brian, good luck with school...I hope you enjoy the site.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in