Thread: NOISY NEIGHBOR TRANE HEATPUMP

Post Likes

Hmm

My neighbor had his TRANE heat pump serviced over a year ago. Ever since I can hear the heat pump humming LOUDLY through out my home. The entire SFH. I am in a community where the houses are closer together than normal, but for the first *two* years it was quiet.

I have to keep a tv or fan on to block it out. You can hear it in every room. Needless to say, he says he will do something about it, if I pay for it. What could it be? Loose metal or what? Please help!!!!

Post Likes
    sorry sounds like a tough one for you
    pay him for a tech to come out and find out what is wrong
    or try to pay half

Post Likes
    The compressor. I'm bettin' it's the compressor.

Post Likes
    Some older Trane units are louder than the new models. But it could also be a failing compressor. Some compressors slightly low on charge can get louder too. May want to ask him to have it looked at again.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Post Likes
    well i don't think you complaining about something he has little control over will help. i have a old janitrol and the old man next to me is always complaining it's to loud tell him till he buys a new system for me plan on hearing it till it won't run anymore.

does the system you have run ? if so close the windows and turn it on. could be worse you could live next to neigbors who party all night and play loud music. i'm glad i don't have enough time to worry with senseless little things like a loud a/s system. i'm blessed to be able to afford a hvac system at all.

Post Likes
    Tough situation. I installed a cheap 12 seer the other day, that thing was so loud, if it was MY place I would have had it removed. The casing was making all kinds of noise.

Have you talked with the nieghbor yet? If they are reasonable people hopefully they will help you out. Maybe it could be moved to another side of the house ($200-$400) or, try and quite it down check all the screws, etc.

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    Probably a loose screw on the cabinet allowing it to rattle. Grab a 5/16" nutdriver and visit your neighbor.

Post Likes
    check the cover over the electrical compartment if there not installed right thay can make a racket.then send me half.

Post Likes
    I have had them make so much noise the customer was sure the compressor was going out. Had one customer that placed concrete blocks on top to stop the noise.
    I would be willing to bet it is sheet metal and a couple of zip screw would cure it.
    Jax

Post Likes
    Alot of times what happens is when the ghange out is done and the lines recconnected, by sometimes moving the suction/summer hot gas/winter and if now this line (which wasnt before, is pushed in where its hitting inside wall, tubing resting right on wall where it stubs out, in the heating side being high pressure it transmits noise thru the walls and or ceiling its going thru, Ive had it happen, also had one owner complain the check valve was much noiser than old one both were Trane, which we all know tend to have alot of rattling with ck. valve especilly when they shut off.

Post Likes
    Get a dog (unneutered). Measure the distance to your neigbors unit. Carefully position the dog's chain to just reach his heat pump. Make sure to feed your dog alot of acidic foods. (Put ketchup on his dog food) It might take a few years, but eventually your neighbor will have to get a new (and hopefully quieter) heat pump.

Man, I have to get a job, I'm spending way too much time on this computer...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Post Likes
    What does municipal bylaw say on maximum noise level at property line?

Post Likes
    If it's a rattling noise, ask if you can tighten all the cabinet screws. Check fan vibration as the fan blade may have thrown a balance weight. Then offer to buy a compressor sound blanket.

Post Likes
    I would get a BB gun and start shooting it till a little hiss started sounding. He would have something done then.

If the BB gun didnt work a .22 with a baby bottle nipple over then end is pretty quiet as well.

I dont live that close to my neighbor so I can only guess how loud it actually is. I would just move out to the country where there are no where near as many neighbors.

Post Likes
    put a ice pick in his coil he'll have to replace it then noise gone

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in