Thread: Geothermal or high efficency boiler

Post Likes

Question

I'm building a new home. I'm undecided between using a geothermal system or a high efficency boiler/standard air conditioning system. The house is a 2000 sqft ranch with walk-out. I plan on radiant heating in the garage floor (3 stall), basement, kitchen/breakfast area and master bath (the latter 2 ceramic tiled). The remainder of the house will be forced air. The house will be located in Northern Iowa. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Post Likes

Wink Boiler

The amount of radiant heating you are using would be better to have a boiler. Now there are other options with your air conditioning using geo-thermal split system..
    But cost would be a little more than standard air-to-air.

American Standard / Trane
    TWE065E13FB/Variable drive /air handler

GSSD060 Commandaire Geo-Thermal split/with de-superheater

Check with Geo-Thermal dealers in your area..
    http://www.americanstandardair.com
    http://www.amstd-comfort.com
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    What about hot water? Should that not be consider into the
    equation as well?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rbiowa
    I'm building a new home. I'm undecided between using a geothermal system or a high efficency boiler/standard air conditioning system. The house is a 2000 sqft ranch with walk-out. I plan on radiant heating in the garage floor (3 stall), basement, kitchen/breakfast area and master bath (the latter 2 ceramic tiled). The remainder of the house will be forced air. The house will be located in Northern Iowa. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
    It kind of depends on the amount of time you plan to own the home. If you're going to live here a good long time go geo. If not then go basic. The in floor radiant systems are nice also, but geo has lower operating costs.

Post Likes
    5 tons for 2000 sq ft in northern Iowa? He could do 3 houses with that system

Post Likes
    BaldLoonie,

You're in a climate similar to mine. Which would you choose? I'm planning on being in the home at least 10 years.

Post Likes

Re: Boiler

Originally posted by aircooled53
    The amount of radiant heating you are using would be better to have a boiler. Now there are other options with your air conditioning using geo-thermal split system..
    But cost would be a little more than standard air-to-air.

American Standard / Trane
    TWE049E13FB/Variable drive /air handler

GSSD036 Commandaire Geo-Thermal split/with de-superheater

Check with Geo-Thermal dealers in your area..
    http://www.americanstandardair.com
    http://www.amstd-comfort.com

I used these numbers as a basis not to show what the home needed. For that he would need a load done. As for the radiant floor heating , I don't get into that, and hot water would need to be calculated by contractor that does floor heating..
    Just trying to give you some options. Not trying to sell you anything..But, as for the DOLLARS$$$$$$ that you will save on geo-thermal split systems vs air-to-air there is no comparison...Geo-Thermal saves twice as much...

[Edited by aircooled53 on 04-10-2005 at 06:16 PM]
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    rbiowa--The first investment you should look at is the thermal shell. That will increase comfort and save money--and it never needs repair! I would check Iowa Coolers & Equipment (www.iowacoolers.com) for your above grade construction and Superior Walls (www.superiorwalls.com) for your walkout. One of the many benefits of these systems also include fast construction. Don't forget well insulated windows and correctly sized HVAC.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in