Well, I went to take my dog for a walk, and on the way back, noticed an unfamiliar "whining" sound coming from the side of my house [yes, the side where the AC condensing units are].

The upstairs unit was running but not the FAN!! Put my hand over the unit and holy crap it was in meltdown.

Reached out and snatched that disconnect and then turned off the thermostat.

Now its time to see what the home warranty company has to say. But first, I need to cross my T's and dot my I's. I have heard that if the unit "looks" dirty, they will not warranty it [suggesting home-owner neglect]. It was cleaned about 6 months ago thoroughly. No amount of dirt on the coils could stop that fan, IMHO, but just to be sure should i wash it out first. i'd rather not take the cover off, fear of giving them any excuses not to warranty it. I havent called it in yet. The compressor was running [but it was not cold up stairs].

Any suggestions?

Six months... a coil can still "look" clean or it can be clogged with cottonwood debris or the like. I've seen both in the same span of time.

Good thing you went for the disconnect switch. That will make it easier for the technician to get you back up and running again.

Re: home warranty issue; hard to call from here. The technician is most likely the one who would say anything about the coil, if he even bothers, to the home warranty company.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by websiterepairguy
    Well, I went to take my dog for a walk, and on the way back, noticed an unfamiliar "whining" sound coming from the side of my house [yes, the side where the AC condensing units are].

The upstairs unit was running but not the FAN!! Put my hand over the unit and holy crap it was in meltdown.

Reached out and snatched that disconnect and then turned off the thermostat.

Now its time to see what the home warranty company has to say. But first, I need to cross my T's and dot my I's. I have heard that if the unit "looks" dirty, they will not warranty it [suggesting home-owner neglect]. It was cleaned about 6 months ago thoroughly. No amount of dirt on the coils could stop that fan, IMHO, but just to be sure should i wash it out first. i'd rather not take the cover off, fear of giving them any excuses not to warranty it. I havent called it in yet. The compressor was running [but it was not cold up stairs].

Any suggestions?
    If you have the bill of sale from the tune up or cleaning, it's good enough for the majority of warranty companies.

But am i wrong about the distinction between dirty coil [which its not] and fan motor gone south?

It might not be the fan motor, could be the fan motor capacitor. Could be a bad wire.

Should be no problem to be repaired.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by websiterepairguy
    So are you talking about the fan upstairs or at the condenser?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Repairs...

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    It might not be the fan motor, could be the fan motor capacitor. Could be a bad wire.

Should be no problem to be repaired.
    I find more often than not it's the cap, and these are dual caps at that. So many times motors are blamed when their perfectly good and it's jsut a simple as a cap...

With regard to yuor expected service from your HW if this is a dual cap and I assume it should be, if it's bad, they will need to replace the dual cap not jsut throw a fan cap in there and abandon the original cap. In my opinion a bad dual cap whether it's the herm / fan side should be replaced. And if the motor is replaced the cap needs to be replaced anyway.

Dual caps are convienent for the mfg but they certaily have thier draw back and this is one of them...

Make them do it right or not at all...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling