Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YORK DEALERS - YORK AFFINITY SYSTEM

Post Likes
    "The diamond series seemed to have some problems with a few blower wheels coming apart and I also saw a few induced draft fans fail."

I think you know my system!

We have a York Diamond 80 that is 10 years old. In the Winter of 2003 I woke up one morning and notice it is TO quiet! Fan in the "On" position, "Heat" selected, 67 in thr house, tep set at 71. Had to have a tech come out and check it. He said that the blower threw a weight, causing the motor to go bad. It would go through a heating cycle but as soon as the burners shut off so would the motor. We had to go for 5 days with no heat in Northern VA! During the 5 days I turned the fan on, and it would run about 1 min then go off for about two and repeat. Once we got it going again we were very happy. A few months later The inducer wheel threw a weight! At least he threw on a temporay weight for that. Other problems we have had include: Dirty flame sensor, bad compressor contactor, and on our HP, the defrost board failed.
    This little story may make York look bad but I think it is just a sign of aging. In short, Yes I think York is good!

Post Likes
    I am in business to sell furnaces and air conditioners and most people that buy from me do so because of other people recomending me to them. I don't understand dealers not keeping parts for what they sell and making people wait for days. It would not work here.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes

Re: Trane in my house

Originally posted by mr big
    Beenthere; wrong again! I have Carrier in my house. Two 38YXA outdoor units with FV variable speed air handlers. Good systems; the 3.5 ton outdoor with the double row coil a little more noise than expected. However, even with Carrier in my home & after selling Carrier for 25 years, I have to admit that all studies I have ever seen throughout my career found that Trane was the most reliable. Even when I sold Carrier, I never bad mouthed GE or Trane because I knew they had good reliable products. I sold more than 100 million dollars worth of Carrier equipment to contractors & made a pretty good amount of money doing it. I retired at 53 & do not have to work anymore. I quess what I am saying is that you do not have to sell the most reliable products to be successful. Mcdonalds does not have the best hamburger, but they sell more of them than anyone else! There is a difference in reliability between manufacturers & I am independent enough to say it.

Imagine what "big" could have sold if he had a product he believed in??LOL

Sorry Big,couldn't resist!! Are you,Joe M.,with the suspenders,or do you know him??

Post Likes

Joe M ????

Dash, Not sure who Joe M is. I am not sure I could have sold as much Trane, but possibly I could have picked up the difference on the commercial side! I do not think I could sell anything except Carrier & Trane. They are the Kings of the trade!

Post Likes
    trane, have you installed any of the Affinitry heat pumps yet.

And yea, the door is a pita.

Did you have any of the fist 40 inchers with the undersized factory drip tees.

The tees were the only real problem we ran into.

On that diamind, a universal wheel would have worked also, I find it hard to believe they couldn't get you heat faster then 5 days, thats just bs, when a company does that.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    trane, have you installed any of the Affinitry heat pumps yet.

And yea, the door is a pita.

Did you have any of the fist 40 inchers with the undersized factory drip tees.

The tees were the only real problem we ran into.

On that diamind, a universal wheel would have worked also, I find it hard to believe they couldn't get you heat faster then 5 days, thats just bs, when a company does that.
    No, I don't install heatpumps only 90% furnaces and A/C(no 80%s either) Yes I had the first 40 inch furnaces and i'm sure they have improved them by now. The exhaust outlet being only 1.5 inches caused the water to not drain back because of the velocity do to the undersized pipe. We had to go back and install tee's in all of them and some were almost impossible to do because of the places installed in commercial buildings. Now they tell you in the installation instructions to install the drain tee but it seems that we took a step backwards on this design. The first boards also caused problems and to use a power stealing stat you had to add a small capacitor. I also have a shelf dedicated to blower wheels for the diamond 90% furnaces because of some failures mostly with 5 ton drive units.

Post Likes
    In the training class the power stealing stat was brought up pretty early on.

How long ago did you get burnt on the stat.

Post Likes
    The first ones I installed were about a year ago in a new Pepsi office building. I know these were some of the first ones out because I only sell 90% furnaces and have them coming in weekly. I ordered diamonds and was shipped the new models because all the diamonds were gone. I was told back then that they were working on the board and exhaust problems. Did they increase the exhaust outlet pipe and change the boards?

Post Likes
    Same board, And they include an adapter to go to 2", and have in the instructions to install a drip tee. Haven't had any trouble with them yet, except for the first one before they set the notice about finding that they undersized the flue.

The haet pumps are nice, but they have the same problem with the stupid access panel as the furnace door.

As far as stats we switched to the 401c, and now the vision pro 5000.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    Same board, And they include an adapter to go to 2", and have in the instructions to install a drip tee. Haven't had any trouble with them yet, except for the first one before they set the notice about finding that they undersized the flue.

The haet pumps are nice, but they have the same problem with the stupid access panel as the furnace door.

As far as stats we switched to the 401c, and now the vision pro 5000.
    Thats funny, I was told by my distributors service man when I was having problems that they were in the process of changing the pipe to two inch so you wouldn't have to use the tee. I guess they decided to take the easy way out and not do anything.

Post Likes
    beenthere, I forgot to ask you about your recommendation to have a thermidistat if I got a VS furnace. My climate is hot dry summers and mild winters. What is a thermidistat and do you still recommend for my climate?

I must say it appears that York didn't work out the kinks on the new line, although some of the posts seems to indicate that all lines have their weaknesses.

Post Likes
    beenthere, make that humidistat.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by nathan9999
    The truth is I really wanted a higher SEER AC and a lower efficiency furnace (for my climate) but my architect specified a 90% furnace. They still haven't re-run the Title 24 calcs with an 80% furnace.

If I can't afford a VS and 90% I'll probably go with just 90% and the highest SEER I can. I'm just thinking that if I get the same extended warranty perhaps I'll try the York if the dollar difference makes sense.

Thanks for your input.
    I'v done lots of new construction. The architect probably specified the 90% furnace because he did not design a chase that will allow you to get the flue up and out on an 80%. The 90% can vent sidewall throught your boxsill.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes

Re: Joe M ????

Originally posted by mr big
    Dash, Not sure who Joe M is. I am not sure I could have sold as much Trane, but possibly I could have picked up the difference on the commercial side! I do not think I could sell anything except Carrier & Trane. They are the Kings of the trade!
    Joe Maliga(spelling?),he was working in Florida ,for Joe Bishop and Jim VanLandingham,in the late 80,s /early 90,s ,had been with Carrier or a distributor for years.

Post Likes
    The humidistat is not needed in dry climates, it won't hurt to have it, but you shouldn't need it,
    If you get 2 stage cooling, if single stage you might need it at milder temps. I'm not familair with the conditions of your area for humidity.

Trane, I'll have to recheck, the last 1 we have in stock is still 1.5".

Haven't gotten any new ones lately, been selling alot more heat pumps for the last 4 monthes then gas or oil combined.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in