Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I will be starting a new house next month. I have a bid on a basic Trane builders model split system but the dealer also sells York. I have been advised by members here to go for a 90% furnace with VS if at all possible and also to have the dealer bid his second line for cost purposes. I am assuming (always dangerous) that York would be somewhat less expensive than Trane (I know, no pricing questions).

Does anyone have any experience yet in the new York Affinity line? York, on their website, is promoting the Affinity line as a significant improvement to their existing lines.

For as big as York seems to be I don't seem to see too many posts here about York equipment (compared to Trane, Carrier, Rheem, etc.). I have read a few complaints about their furnace ignition reliability (and Doc doesn't seem to think too highly about their furnaces (would that be correct Doc?)).

Anyway, how does the new Affinity line compare, or is it too early to tell?

The outdoor unit is nice and quiet, it uses the scroll instead of bristol compressor.

The furnace has a better board on it so its improved over older models, how much, only time will tell for sure.

Make sure you get a humidistat for that vs blower.
    York doesn't have the txv installed on the coil, the contractor has to install it himself. Thats the biggest complaint I have about them so far.

If you get the heatpump, the deforst board is also a duel fuel board, so you only need the bonnet sensor, and you got the best of both worlds.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

York Affinity Vs Trane

The York Affinity is the top of the line York. Why not get your contractor to quote you the Trane XL16i. The XL16i is super efficient, has a two step scroll compressor & offers Trane's incomparable reliablity & craftsmanship.

Trane's incomparable reliablity & craftsmanship.
    Yea right! I'd take the Yorkie and their 2 stage outdoor unit over the choo choo with all the headaches we've been having with the A-S/Trane VS 90s lately!

The truth is I really wanted a higher SEER AC and a lower efficiency furnace (for my climate) but my architect specified a 90% furnace. They still haven't re-run the Title 24 calcs with an 80% furnace.

If I can't afford a VS and 90% I'll probably go with just 90% and the highest SEER I can. I'm just thinking that if I get the same extended warranty perhaps I'll try the York if the dollar difference makes sense.

Thanks for your input.

beenthere,

What is the significance of the TXV not being factory installed?

Trane Superiority

Every reliability study conducted by independent parties & utilities have always found Trane to be heads & shoulders above the rest when it comes to reliability. This includes the days of the GE units before Trane bought them. Case closed.

Its just that some companies don't use nitrgen when they braze, so, if they don't its another problem a lower quality contractor could create.

Big, are you including the trouble they had with the 19i line, or just forgeting about the compressor failures.
    Contractor locator map

Ok Mr Tranewashed - I mean Mr Big, post just 1 independent study (besides CR which tested nothing) that says Trane is "heads & shoulders above the rest when it comes to reliability."

If they are so reliable, why are they constantly having to come up with new boards for the XV90 because of bugs? Why did they yank the previous version BLW0732 inducer that had so many control problems? Why have they extended the warranty on the troublesome Intell-ignition boards? How about the bulletin & labor allowance on the failing "trasition recepticals" and secondary heat exchanger headers on the 90s? Why did they have a bulletin out on the earlier B condenser fan motors (MOT8895) that were so unreliable? Why did they have a recall on 15kw air handler heat kits to check for loose connections. And they are switching to all aluminum evaps soon because, according to a factory rep at Comfortech - too many leakers. We replaced a leaking 3 year old TXA the other day with a brand new leaking TXA! Oh yea, the XL19i small compressors, thanks been! ... come on dash, you could think of a few here too

Nathan, one thing to remember about advice here, guys sometimes forget that what's best in their area might not be best for everyone. If you are in an area that an 80% furnace and higher SEER A/C is wise, work with your builder and architech that way. Most on here push the most expensive stuff to people that ask. I remember a survey where regulars listed what's in their own homes. Most had standard stuff and many were mismatched junk they probably took out from a customers home!

Trane Reliablity

I did not say that Trane had no problems. I did say that Trane overall has been & is the most reliable brand out there across the product line spectrun. Over the years I have seen Utility studies that documented the reliability of brands within their distribution areas. GE & Trane were always at the tops in reliability. I cannot send these to you because I no longer have them. I have retired from the Hvac industry after 30 years. A far as being Tranewashed, I might add that I never sold Trane. I did sell Carrier for 25 years & Carrier is a good manufacturer; however, I must admit Carrier was never rated as high as Trane or GE in the reliability studies I have ever seen. I quess I would question why you sell American Standard/Trane products if they cause you such problems. I have dealt with Hvac contractors in five states for 30 years & the overwhelming majority of them that have sold GE, Trane & American Standard certainly do not feel the way you do about their products. If I were your supplier & you bad mouthed my product like you do; I would ask you to find another brand to sell. I am sure that I could find another contractor that wants to sell the most reliable brand out there!

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    I remember a survey where regulars listed what's in their own homes. Most had standard stuff and many were mismatched junk they probably took out from a customers home!

Hey baldie, You been peaking in my basement haven you.

A 28 year old a/s oil furnace, and a 3 year old armstrong a/c. I rent so I had no choice in the matter.

Mr. big, so now we all know you have trane, or a/s systems in your house.

I replace as many trane units as any bodyelses, they're isn't alot of difference in reliability in the big name brands.

4 ton units don't do well on 2 ton duct systems no matter who made the unit.

So if the survey didn't include checking the entire system, its not reliable.

Now you may come back and tell us you saw 20 of these reports, so they all can't be wrong.

Contractor locator map

I really don't want to bash brands.

Mr. big, if you want to use survey results, have a copy to post with it.

Other wise its just hearsay.
    Contractor locator map

Trane in my house

Beenthere; wrong again! I have Carrier in my house. Two 38YXA outdoor units with FV variable speed air handlers. Good systems; the 3.5 ton outdoor with the double row coil a little more noise than expected. However, even with Carrier in my home & after selling Carrier for 25 years, I have to admit that all studies I have ever seen throughout my career found that Trane was the most reliable. Even when I sold Carrier, I never bad mouthed GE or Trane because I knew they had good reliable products. I sold more than 100 million dollars worth of Carrier equipment to contractors & made a pretty good amount of money doing it. I retired at 53 & do not have to work anymore. I quess what I am saying is that you do not have to sell the most reliable products to be successful. Mcdonalds does not have the best hamburger, but they sell more of them than anyone else! There is a difference in reliability between manufacturers & I am independent enough to say it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast