Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It shows up as a modem but it will not dial out. it does try but as I said nextel says it won't work with their phones as they will not generate the tones needed for a modem.

Where is the baud rate set ?

Ok I just caught that , they say it will not work with their phones, that may be true but I thought you meant they said that cells in general would not work.

So it does dial out but won't connect?

I have never had one do that , basicaly my experience has been that if the program will see it and dial it out then it will connect, does the remote modem answer at all ?

No, it will not even dial. The phone tries then it just beeps and gives an error.

ok, I assure you then that if you switch to AllTell I can vouch that this will work , also works for celluar one, these are the two carriers that I use and they both work fine in this scenario.I have the same problem of dialing in from home and running up my long disteance bill , so when I do it I use the cell access and in most cases it is a better connection anyway.

So Davem, does this allow you to dial any modem and does it use any windows comm program?

I can use my Nextel i60 to dial up my ISP thru a Dell Lattitede d600 laptop running XP. But, I have not been able to get it to work on a Tracer Summit modem. Have tried 5-6 different sites, can get to the tones but no response from my Nextel. Finally got thru to the top level of Customer no-support at Nextel and they informed me it would not work. Said Nextel uses a digital signal and modems are Analog?

Ive tried different strings, and no luck.

Funny thing, I used to be able to dial up Summit on my old laptop using Nextel. Was a Dell also but with W2K.

Haven't spent a whole lot of time researching it, been to busy. Would like to know the real answer though.

A couple of years ago we used Nextel to dial out and connect to (dial up only - not internet) CSI/INET and Powers buildings - using windows 98, port com 1 with their data cable, baud rate 9600. It took awhile to establish a connection and I had to mess with the connection properties for a bit but I got it to work. We used to use it alot for on call but then with Nextel towers being limited sometimes it would drop out so guys quit using it and we stopped the service. I know we used it though for at least a year. I don't know if they changed something in their connections but I do recall we had to have data access enabled - basically internet acces - on the phone and that it would read establishing data connection when you would dial out, if it couldn't establish it would time out and tell you.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

We use Nextel phones on a daily basis to dial in direct to modems and it is a great connection.

currently we use them to call

Trane tracer
    Trane summit BCU's
    Krueter/KMC
    Andover ac256/ac8 etc modem mates with APT
    Andover Infinity panels with Procomm Plus
    ASI
    American auto Matrix
    Johnson controls NCM's
    Johnson companion and fascilitator
    johnson n30/n31

Hope i did not leave any out

I use a Motorola i550 currently and its stable been doing this for probably 5-6 years now.

For the guys having probs dialing into a Trane BCU set up a seperate modem as a "standard 9600" modem assigned to com1. This should be a workaround for you.

also avoid using USB to Serial adaptors if at all possible USB works well converted to serial however it is not R-232 friendly.

if you must use a usb to serial converter by one from B&B electronics because the taylor make theres specifically for RS-232.

there is a big misconception that serial and RS-232 are the same they are not.

one of my old machines currently has 6 different modems set up in it 4 shareing com 1, the nextel modem being one of those. It may take some modem management or hardware profiles to make it work (i dont have more than one hardware profile set up but some guys with toshibas in our dept had to make 2 hardware profiles to pull this off).

Allen

Yeah, #1, it sounds as though your phone is not yet set by Nextel for "dial-up service". This will probably entail a 20-minute phone call to your Nextel rep, who will then juggle you through several tech support departments until you stumble on the one guy who understands the issue (a lot like the holographic doctor in I, Robot: "I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You musst ask the right questions.")
    Without that service enabled, you'll get the results you're seeing - the phone simply beeps and reports an error.

Otherwise, as drivewizard, crab master, and acddc can testify, the phone will work just like any other external modem.

Also, I found that a plain ol' Belkin USB-to-DB9 serial adapter works just fine to provide the serial port for this setup, so don't be scared to try it before you dig up the B&B version.

Regardless, be sure to follow the link at the top of this thread for the user manual, which will tell you exactly what settings on your phone to set for the best connection. Nextel service in general may be spotty, but this bit of information was actually right on the mark.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast