+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using nextel as a modem

Post Likes

At the company I work for we use nextel phones. I sometimes need to dial up a site that is long distance and would like to be able to use my nextel as a modem to do this. is there any way to do this with this phone? ( motorola i58sr )
    I have searched and can only find older cdma modems.

Post Likes
    Yep, it works well - I use an i60c, but the concept is the same. Use Nextel's "In Line Data Cable" (and you'll have to tell Nextel that you want your number to be equipped with "data packet service" - they may simply be calling it "dial-up service" now). Look here: http://www.nextel.com/services/nexte...pservice.shtml for the instructions of what you'll need and what to do.

The results are adequate; connection speeds are a bit pokey, but that's the sacrifice for flexibility. I use mine a couple times of month, and as long as I've got any sort of antenna strength, I've had no problems - no garbled data, no dropped calls (totally rare for Nextel, I know, but then again, I'm not moving when I'm using the laptop to connect...)

Post Likes
    Are you dialing other sites with modems or internet dialup?

Post Likes
    Most cell phones can do this with just a data cable kit, I have as long as your program will recognize the modem, some older programs will not recognize it, what program are you connecting with ?

I have found that windows based programs will work with it, and Hyper terminal will work fine also. I needed no special parameters to be set by AllTell, they also provide free dial up internet that just uses your minutes the same way that calls do. 19,200 is the highest speed with this connection.

Post Likes
    The problem is that it isn't dialup internet it is direct. cell phones will not dial and make the necessary tones to connect to a modem.

Post Likes
    Yes they will, I was aying that I do use it with control programs, and that the internet connection is there also.

What program are you using ?

Post Likes
    I have the cable and tried it but it didn't work. I called nextel and they told me there is no way to do this as the phone will not generate the tones to allow calling another modem. how are you doing this and what are you using?

Post Likes
    I dial directly into sites all the time with my cell phone, direct to a modem.

Post Likes
    What are you program using?

Post Likes
    what program are you using I mean

Post Likes
    I just noticed you said alltel. I am usiong nextel

Post Likes
    Well, I'm not familiar with Nextel,

but I have done this and do this with three other brands of celll phones, it will easily connect with any program that can recognize it as a modem, have you configured it as a modem ?

and does it show up in your modems list ?

Are you at a point that it will see the modem and dial out ?

Post Likes
    I don't think the brand is the problem yet

Post Likes
    It shows up as a modem but it will not dial out. it does try but as I said nextel says it won't work with their phones as they will not generate the tones needed for a modem.

Post Likes
    Where is the baud rate set ?

Post Likes
    Ok I just caught that , they say it will not work with their phones, that may be true but I thought you meant they said that cells in general would not work.

Post Likes
    So it does dial out but won't connect?

I have never had one do that , basicaly my experience has been that if the program will see it and dial it out then it will connect, does the remote modem answer at all ?

Post Likes
    No, it will not even dial. The phone tries then it just beeps and gives an error.

Post Likes
    Nextel uses a broadband style internet connection that is charged as a seperate add on to your account. Nextel phones will not work as a dial up.

Post Likes
    ok, I assure you then that if you switch to AllTell I can vouch that this will work , also works for celluar one, these are the two carriers that I use and they both work fine in this scenario.I have the same problem of dialing in from home and running up my long disteance bill , so when I do it I use the cell access and in most cases it is a better connection anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in