Thread: Guidance on Furnace & A/C purchase

Post Likes

Question

Looking to replace old systems in a Chicago area capecod. House is brick 2 story. Approx. Sq.Ft.is 1100. I've taken 2 proposals at this time. Both contractors suggest Goodman 13 SEER A/C units. However, furnace choices are, Armstrong 63K B.T.U (G1D93AU67D12B) or Goodman 90 B.T.U with larger A-Coil installed<?...not sure which size fits the size of my home better? Also, we do plan on staying in this home for another 5-7 years. I'm looking for good running machines that are reasonable in price. I don't want ...All Show..No Go..stuff. Everything I've read is Goodman bad on furnaces, but good.. better.. on A/C's. Anyways, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

TY, INDMRD

Post Likes
    My pick of the two is listed on the line below.

>
    ----------------------------------------------

Now that we have that out of the way, find a contractor that will do a load calc on the home to properly size the unit to your home. Than make sure the ducting is sufficient for the unit to perform with-in parameters.

The cheapest is normally the cheapest for a reason. Not saying the most expesive is the best either. Normally, the middle of the road is adequite. Pick the guy you feel comfortable with and will answer ANY questions/concerns you may have.

13 SEER in Chicago could be a waste of money.
    High efficient furnace on the other hand is a must.

Post Likes
    90,000 BTU for 1100 sq ft seems way out of line. The 67,000 BTU makes more sense. Oversizing the indoor coil on a high SEER unit will mean high humidity in the summer. I'd want a smaller coil with expansion valve instead. And yes, in a small home & midwest cooling needs and decent electric rates, you won't see much of a savings. The Goodman 13 SEER is a nice unit with slow speed fan and cover over a Copeland scroll so you will gain that but minimal electric savings over 10 SEER.

Post Likes
    the sizing sounds way off. where are you located? my e-mail is in my profile.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Buy a better brand. Trane Carrier Rheem American Standard The difference between a better brand and a cheaper one is not that much. Do you own a very inexpensive car? And never buy branded products? Then buy your Goodman. All equipment is not the same

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cbmechanical
    All equipment is not the same
    I know my wife has told me that many times.
    but she has at least stuck with this Good Man "no pun intended" for 31 years.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I think you might want to get a couple of more quotes..

Goodman will work fine; if sized properly and installed properly, just like any other brand.

http://www.americanstandardair.com
    I like Trane/American Standard because they have worked for me in the past 15 years.But,I'm not spending your $$$.
    Just call around your area,BBB,ACCA, city inpection offices,fire departments,utilities.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cbmechanical
    Buy a better brand. Trane Carrier Rheem American Standard The difference between a better brand and a cheaper one is not that much. Do you own a very inexpensive car? And never buy branded products? Then buy your Goodman. All equipment is not the same
    Why are they better?I like a Goodmans heat Exchanger better than a Carriers.Blowers are made by G.E.,White Rodgers or Honeywell gas valves.I install them all,but untill I get to the 2-stages do I see a differance.Just installed a American Standard 2-stage last week with a faulty inducer motor off the get go.Just curious why are they better, maybe I'm missing something here other than your opinion that is lacking fact.

Post Likes
    We think. better cabinetry, higher cutomer satisfaction rate, longevity.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in