Success in the HVAC business is:
1. A healthy and safe working environment.
2. Having some control on your daily activities.
3. Making $21 to $23 (4/4/05) an hour for residential work.
4. Being able to give some input to the problems of the day
5. Getting two or three weeks paid vacation a year.
6. Having a company truck and taking it home at night.
7. Being sent to a paid HVAC seminar once in a while.
8. Extra pay for "On call duty."
9. Get 6% commission for selling equip.while being a tech.
10 Having a boss that values your input.
11.Not being under a lot of pressure all of the time.
12.Getting help on the job when you ask for it.
13.Getting overtime once in a while.
14.Not being talked down to.
15.Having all or some of my medical paid.
16.Getting a raise.
17.Company supplied vacuum pump,rec.machine,recovery tank.
18.Having a 401K plan that the company contributes to.
I wrote this list in 1964 except for about 4 of them. (for #2 - then it was $2 to 3 an hour)and (#8) not all companies pay commission to techs, but if they do you can make a lot of money. For instance, not to long ago I sold TWO 4,000 residential jobs in one week (8,000 x 6%comm. = $480.00)That's 480 + my pay of $23 x 40 = $920 + 480 = $1400 that week. That is not bad pay for residential work. Yes I work all year. I had many other sales that year.
Every company I worked for from 1964 met at least 14 of this list or I did not stay. Don't let some "A" hole make your work life misserable. Write down what is important to you, and go for it. And please make sure you make good money. And you will, be good at what you do and the money will come. You must find out where the good money is and go there. What is good money? as of this date (4/4/05) $40,000 to 60,000(for a 40 hour week)a year,plus benefits and possibly commissions.
DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF OR YOUR FAMILY OUT OF A DECENT LIFE.