Hybrid View

I own a 2000 sf home in Denver and would like to upgrade heating/cooling system. I have gotten 5 bids and each one of them has given me very different advice. I welcome suggestions about the best (effective and efficient) way to upgrade my home.

My house was built in 1900 and has a 4 ton, forced air, 80+ efficiency, five year old gas furnace with ductwork to the first floor only. Prior owners "popped the top" to add a second floor about 10 years ago. The second floor is about 900 sf with one large master bedroom, a walk in closet and a bathroom with no attic. Electric baseboard heat was installed in second floor. Heating bills in winter run $300 a month with 100 for gas and 200 for electric. The upstairs tends to be 10-15 degrees warmer than downstairs on warm days (I haven't been there in the summer yet but imagine it will get worse) Running ductwork up to the second floor will be difficult in the best case.

I want to add a/c to the house, mainly to keep the master bedroom cool, remove the electric baseboard, with a moderately short time horizon -- I don't expect to live there more than three years.

Here are the proposed solutions:

1. Install separate Panasonic split a/c unit upstairs with heat pump. Install a/c on existing system downstairs.

2. Install Mr. Slim heat pump unit upstairs. No a/c downstairs.

3. Install 3 ton A/C on existing system. Run 8 inch duct to master bedroom; 4 inch to bathroom. Don't add new return.

4. Install 4 ton A/C on existing system. Run 4 6 inch ducts upstairs and install return upstairs. Ductwork will be very intrusive in downstairs.

5. Install 3 ton A/C on existing system. Run 2 8 inch ducts upstairs, add return.

I am leaning towards option 2 as it is least intrusive and will (I think) meet my needs.

Thanks in advance.

Denver house

Number 2 sounds logical. Go for it.

Toss a swamp cooler on the roof.

I agree with Doc. The right swamp cooler will give you the best overall comfort with lower installation and operating costs.

All About Saving Heat (303-777-1515) has done many high quality swamp cooler installations in the Denver area. Dennis, the owner, uses Australian swamp coolers that are fully automatic. I saw one of his installations in action last summer -- FANTASIC to say the least. Don't make any decisions until you talk to them.

#6 might be the ticket, if not second choice would be #2.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

twilli3967
    come on now , you promised (didnt you?) (docs thread on the pros board)

I think he was referring to 6 being the swamp cooler and if not, go with 2. Why you bustin his chops?