Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On Call Pay

Frown

I used to work for a Service Experts shop that heavily advertised after hour service. They abused us severely. 60 hour weeks were normal and 75+ during busy season. One of many reasons I left there was to save my marriage. It was in trouble because I was always at work. The pay was good but not worth it. They paid $50 bonus per week on call and time and a half over 40 hours. Where you realy made your money was on maintenance plan spiffs and replacement leads. However after nearly three years of busting my ass for thankless bosses that always wanted more and many broken promises from my manager and me breaking commitments to my family I had to walk away before it destroyed me. Most of the guys in the shop were divorced or on the verge. Over a dumb job! So everyone used every trick in the book to get out of calls to spend time with their families. In this scenario everyone suffered. I got out and never looked back.

being on call does suck but I think its a fair sum @ $100 per call week plus ot the cheap p.o.s. I use to work for only paid us $10 per call week what a insult . But after wising up I got my state mechanical lic. & now get paid when I have to go out after hours I look at it like if I cant put a min. of $100 cash in my pocket they can wait till morning.
    I can do all things...

At the last company I worked for I was on call one full week every month. We only got paid time and a half after are 40 hours was in, nothing else. As years went by there were many times it was a real inconvience to be avaliable so often. I knew the majority of the shops in my area paid something extra for being on call. So one day I sat down with the owner and explained to him how I felt. He couldn't believe what I was asking. He said that some other companys may pay you to be on call but then they take away other benifits like holidays. He went on to act like what I was saying was stupid. He asked how I expected him to be able to pay us anything extra, he said customers aren't going to pay for it, so where's it going to come from?

So let me ask all you guys who get paid for being on call, do you still get thanksgiving and christmas off? I got paid for 7 holidays a year, of course I was on call for 2-3 of them.

[Edited by supremehvac on 04-23-2005 at 01:03 AM]

On call sucks any way you slice it-
    We get 30 bucks for being on for the week
    Time & half after 40
    Paid port to port
    15 bucks bonus for each call we run
    4 hrs extra on holidays
    No cuts of holidays(7)or benefits.

Lots of comments about who gets what, anybody know what's
    legal. I know it could vary from state to state but there
    are federal labor laws. Seems to me that if employer is
    controlling your activities (no drinking, respond to calls
    in xx amount of time) then you are on his time and should
    be compensated. We have an answering service that takes the calls and then contacts the on call tech. With pagers that gave us some amount of freedom, but pagers wre taken away last month to save money. We're paid 1 1/2 port to port, no
    minimum.

Originally posted by twosticks
    Lots of comments about who gets what, anybody know what's
    legal. I know it could vary from state to state but there
    are federal labor laws. Seems to me that if employer is
    controlling your activities (no drinking, respond to calls
    in xx amount of time) then you are on his time and should
    be compensated. We have an answering service that takes the calls and then contacts the on call tech. With pagers that gave us some amount of freedom, but pagers wre taken away last month to save money. We're paid 1 1/2 port to port, no
    minimum.
    I believe federal law states that an employee who is required to be "on call" shall be justly compensated. But there is no defination of just.

In California the stat labor commision has determined that just compensation is mim. pay for every hour that an employee is on "call"
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

On call used to be 100 bucks a week just recently got bumped to 150 bucks not bad plus time and half port to port so it's really not bad.

Originally posted by service guy
    On call used to be 100 bucks a week just recently got bumped to 150 bucks not bad plus time and half port to port so it's really not bad.
    Nice... can't beat that.

Where I'm at, putting in 2week notice Monday, it's 90 bucks port to port, same as been for 15 years there. Wow, inflation plays no part. Are rates hire than 15 years ago?
    It's a Leak!

Are you leaving just because of the on call pay? 15 years is a long time with a company.

No, it's not that. On call pay wasn't too bad. See my other post here about Job Advice Needed Please Help. I've only been there 9 but still it hasn't changed for 15 years. Didn't mean anything bad about the on call pay. I'd say on call pay should be higher than 90. At least a days pay. PEACE
    It's a Leak!

we use to get 25 bucks extra per week for on-call. I was the one to ***** about it and they raised it to 50. Big deal. One week of personal free time is worth a hell of a lot more than 50 bucks. Everyone at my company tries to talk there way out of having to run the calls. I usally ask, Is someone going to die if I don't come out tonight? No, okay we will be there tommorrow then. Does any one else have any good lines to get out of running calls?

On call pay

The company I work for pays $105 for the week your on call.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast