Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On Call Pay

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address

Confused

Owners who realize the employees are the one's who make the company successful are the ones that pay techs for being on call. I worked for one company that payed $100 for being on call for the weekend (Plus time and a half for over 40). Another company paid $75. And then there was the company who did not pay anything for being on call. The owner refused to pay for on call duty. So the techs would do everything they could not to go on the calls that came in after hours. In other words put the customers off until the next day. And some of the techs would sort of piss off the customer to get back at the owner.

Lets take a look at on call. It screws up your whole weekend when you are on call. And not be compensated for being on call should be a crime. Where the hell do these owners get the audacity to tie up your whole weekend up and not pay you extra. And for the techs who say it is part of their job to be on call and not be paid extra, well, better them than me. Boy are they foolish, if not stupid. For you guys, let the rich get richer, especially at your cost. What the hell, your family doesn't need the money, right? Ask yourself, is your house paid off, do you have tens of thousands of dollars in the bank for your kids college education, Do you have a year or two salary saved for a rainy day, Do you and your wife both have a late model car. And what about your retirement. If your forty do you have 125,000 or so saved for retirement.

Damn, I had a no answer for every question 'cept the first one. Am I in bad shape?

I agree with what you say.

Oh I agree also, I remember years ago the company I worked for would pay $20.00 extra for every call make while on call. Well it was a cold winter and over the course of the week end I made about 15 calls or about $300.00.

At the time I was makeing about $200.00 a week, again this was 25 years ago. Well when the owner heard that I was going to be making a bit more than what he expected he did everything possible to nit pick and widdle that check bak down to around $220.00

Well needless to say I was pissed, and would try anything to make temp repairs so as to return during the week.

Ya on call should be comp somehow.

BJD

I had an employee make $1,379.00 from 5:00PM on a Friday to 8:00AM on Monday while being on call. That was for his paycheck. He is 24 years old, made almost 30K in six months working for me.

He was the highest paid oncall employee all winter, he beat the other guys out by about $10.00.

I had one employee that was compensated the same damn way, all he had to do was get his butt out the door and he wouldn't do it, his highest oncall paycheck was about $275.00, he pissed my customers off, he works somewhere else now.

we pull call for carrier transicold reefers from fri 11pm thru the following thurs night. we only get time and a half for anything over 40 hrs. no other on call reimbursments. our shop is open for two shifts. if we need time during our work time to recuperate, we can come in late if we choose, but the overtime reverts back to straight time.
    Da Threadkilla

We get a days pay for holding a pager for one week. Also ther is only 2 of us left so we are on call every other week.
    How much is it an hour?

Let's see....

I get a hundred bucks for being on call plus time-&-a-half for any call I go on that's considered overtime. If I'm the back-up tech I get $50 plus time-&-a-half.

No complaints there.

The company I work for pays a fair price for being on call, time and a half over forty, and $20 for every billed hour. I had eight calls last weekend, billed out ten hours, made $200 extra + my OT. I worked for someone that wanted to only pay you cash(I know this is a NO NO) on the weekend. I do not mind being on call if the company rotates the on-call schedule, I do not like having to catch calls 24/7 for a over two months (Been There Done That).

42, I am glad you feel comfortabl ehere enough to share your thoughts and wisdom.

However, you came across as being the only one with the correct answer.
    I know how you must feel.

When I am on my soapbox... just like you are on yours, here, now .... you want to rant about something that bugs you.
    And you really do not give a rip what anyone else has to say in regards to other options/ opinions/ thoughts/ criticisms, etc.
    You simply want to rant.

And here ... that is acceptable.

When I am on call too often, I get upset also. No matter how mch I am paid for being on call.

Frankly, the whole thing about on call or after hours ... it sucks.
    Once I get home .... unless I am called out to help out another tech who is currently in trouble ... I do not want to leave home ... no matter what the so called emergency is.
    When I finally arrive back home ...I am there to stay.
    I hate nothing worse than getting settled in at home and have the stupid pager go off and have to leave.

And $100 does not ease that pain very much.

So now you have heard ...The Rest of The Story

Its what i refer too as "Blood Money" as its earned thru so much stress at times.

Some times as has been said here "you just do not want any more, and would rather be in job that does not require so much of our own time."

I have also in the past let people wait; hey what can you do. When you, as well as your help is wasted from the daily operations.

We will not responed to any new customers, during our on call hours. This has a way of keeping the older ones and setting up a way to get the newer customer to become one of ours.

If they are not one of ours, they will just go on to a list and when time is avaible they will be served, sorry.

This may help some of you to lessen the on call problems.

BJD

When I clock out it is my time. My job suports my life it is not my life. I use on call or OT pay as unbudgeted fun money.
    If I am required to be on call I expect to be payed 1/2 time pay for every hour I am on call and if I have to go in 4 hours mim OT pay. If not I do not take on call.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Well as I said in an earlier post I USED to get 1 days pay to hold the pager for 7 days. I feel that is fair, I give them a week, they can at least give me one day back. My boss has told the other techs that this will now be cut in half due to the fact summer is coming and we don't work as "hard" when we are on call. I am pissed! I have no idea how I am going to handle it but I feel a two week notice in my future.
    How much is it an hour?

GO UNION!!!
    Local 787 stipulates that the contractor is to pay 4.5 hrs to be on call for the week. Our package is $48 and change per hour.
    When we do get a call, it is a minimum of 3hrs per call out.
    Get what you're worth. Go union!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast