Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    No the homeowner wasnt smart and ive already detailed why he wasnt. That doesnt mean my friend is an idiot though..it just means that any homeowner that wants to go this route is taking a crap shoot...hes not gonna have any warranty and he may get a crap install. In this instance he got a great install but it was the wrong equipment and in this instance all the blame has to lie with the homeowner.

twilli3967

1. no it doesnt make it right by any means and even they know it. just makes it real
    2. they owner was not smart and we both know it
    3. the installer showed his lack of knowlege about heat pumps and needs to learn more.
    4 he wasnt very smart with this but i still dont think he is stupid
    5 you make good points and great debate
    this is not a perfect world and sometimes we have to be a little tolarent of others inabilities and dumb mistakes
    like i said hope he learned from this one
    5. hack maybe since you like this guy you should try to teach him rather then just help him out. that is how this industrie will get better. just helping doesnt do a thing for him or the people he is working for.

I'm sorry Hackmaster....since he gets his business through his church it makes it all OK.....

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    hackmaster
    we should all face the fact, as long as there is a market for the homeowner to buy equipment internet or elswhere
    they will buy it. very few of us are well off or have plenty on money. so if a guy finds a need to do an install of this kind hell why not. he is earning a few bucks to get by or feed his family or whatever
    Hard to disagree with that statement!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I installed my own Panel box "because I know what I am doing" and saved myself $600.00 is that ok? Probably not if I posted this on an electrical forum.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

shame shame mrbill...did you pull a permit on that bad boy??...if not these guys are gonna think your a hack.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hackmaster
    [B]shame shame mrbill...did you pull a permit on that bad boy??

Man, I knew there was something I was missing! but I know it's right I got the instructions from Home Depot.

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    hackmaster
    we should all face the fact, as long as there is a market for the homeowner to buy equipment internet or elswhere
    they will buy it. very few of us are well off or have plenty on money. so if a guy finds a need to do an install of this kind hell why not. he is earning a few bucks to get by or feed his family or whatever
    Hard to disagree with that statement!
    Thanks tinknocker and mrbillpro. I've been following this post with some feelings of guilt. I just finished installing a Luxaire furnace for a neighbor, who got it through his brother-in-law. My neighbor pulled a permit, and will have the install inspected. I am 110% it will pass, because I did an excellent job installing it. Am I taking business away from my boss? No, because of some bad business decisions on his part, I've been laid off for 2 months. I have a wife and 2 year old son that depend on me for income, and a mortgage to pay. And with the job market REALLY slow in this region for HVAC, I probably won't be finding any openings soon. I also have an A/C install lined up with my in-laws neighbor, and I'll probably feel a little guilty about that too, but I have to put food on the table for my family and pay bills.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Originally posted by markco
    I've been laid off for 2 months. I have a wife and 2 year old son that depend on me for income, and a mortgage to pay. And with the job market REALLY slow in this region for HVAC, I probably won't be finding any openings soon. I also have an A/C install lined up with my in-laws neighbor, and I'll probably feel a little guilty about that too, but I have to put food on the table for my family and pay bills.
    Say no more brother!! at least you are trying and not just giving up and living off the Government, you want my advise do whatever it takes to take care of your family, and if you had someone pull a permit and you feel good about the job, well enough said I don't think there are many here that would condemn you for that.

markco
    Professional Member

do what you have to do
    good luck finding something
    these people are going to use someone and not someones bos either. might as well be someone who knows what he is doing. just make sure you get permits or the fines will kill you

Marko as long as you are knowlegable and did a good job by the codes its not a hack job so dont get down on yourself. Now the homeowner wont have any warranty but im sure hes aware of this. My warning was to homeowners trying to buy equipment on the internet and fully expecting to have guaranteed warranties and thinking they know more than they acually do and end up getting bitten such as the one i detailed in the origional post. I do have some advice for you that you might find helpful. I dont know where you live but some states have a speciallty contractors license that you can obtain that will enable you to be in business for yourself in hvac legally and you can service and install units in your own business. To obtain initial customers hit the street and cold call businesses like a mad dog and create a customer base in commercial work to start then word of mouth will spread you into residential..it takes a couple of very lean years to do this. After that advertise yellow page wise and get your state contractors license. If you do this it will suck at first but after you have sucess you will never go back to work for the man again and will line your pockets. Do what you have to do to feed your family so dont ever feel bad about that. Good luck to you bro.

[Edited by hackmaster on 04-10-2005 at 12:45 AM]

Originally posted by hackmaster
    My warning was to homeowners trying to buy equipment on the internet and fully expecting to have guaranteed warranties and thinking they know more than they acually do and end up getting bitten such as the one i detailed in the origional post.
    Your right and we got carried away now how did that happen? that never happens here.

what do you mean carried away. hehehehehehehe
    hack your right truth is only the contractor can give a true warrenti. not the internet or suppy house
    and there is the differance
    they may tell you has a warrenti but only we can back it up properly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast