+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BARD Water Source Heat Pump StartUp Problem

Post Likes

BARD Water Source Heat Pump StartUp Problem

Hello all. Open loop system out of a well. Well pump stopped working due to bad pressure switch which has been fixed. Purged all air out of waterlines and did restart procedure as outlined in installation manual. Green "check" light is on at thermostat and compressor will not kick on no matter what sequence of start up I try. Unit was working fine before well pump trouble.

I'm having a hard time finding a service tech in my area and was wondering if ANY competent tech can come out and check for lockout switch trouble, etc. etc or in your experience should I wait and find a service tech with good WSHP expertise?

Post Likes
    Moved to Residential geo forum.

Post Likes

High Voltage

Have you tried turning off, and back on, the heat pumps breaker?

Bergy

Post Likes
    Yes, I've tried turning off main breaker to unit, waiting a few minutes and then turning back on. I know this is supposed to reset the lockout circuit, but no luck.

Post Likes

Smile lockout will not reset

Hi there. Boy does this bring back memories. We used to install Bard wpv geothermal units. I have had numerous failures of their lockout relay system. Once the relay gets activated because of a safety switch opening, the relay never wants to reset and stays in the lockout position even after breaking the heat signal, which is supposed to reset it. It has a special impedence and must be replaced with the exact same type. It is also possible that the safety switch itself is simply stuck open. The freeze switch or the low pressure switch or both tripped when your pump failed. In my opinion, any competent hvac tech should be able to figure this out for you. But, I would still explain the situation to the company before I let them dispatch a tech.
    One other possibility comes to mind. If your unit runs for 30 seconds or so before locking out, then I think that your coaxial coil is still frozen from when your pump failed. I have had coax coils freeze many times and it can take them 2 days to thaw. The solution to this problem is simple. Run the unit in ac mode for a couple minutes and the coil will thaw. If you have water flowing through your unit then obviously, this is not your problem.
    Hope this helps. Brian.

Post Likes
    Thanks very much for the reply. Are the 'safety switch' 'freeze switch' 'low pressure switch' all located in the low pressure lockout module on the control panel? Is it okay to post a pic of the diagram?

Post Likes
    Just let your service contractor handle the diagnostics.

Giving him advise from over the internet won't help him, and may slow him down and cost you more money.

And site rules prohibit DIY.

Post Likes

Smile Don't want you to get hurt.

If you tried to reset by turning off power and the lockout happens the moment you turn back on and call for heating or cooling, then it is time to call in a COMPETENT technician. If it runs for a little and then shuts off on lockout, try restarting a few times in the cooling mode. See prior post for explanation.
    Again, good luck.

Post Likes
    Many thanks to all for the replies and the advice. Quality of service technician seems to be the hardest part of getting service and I like to be somewhat informed.

My apologies if I over stepped forum boundaries. Have a good week everyone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in