Geothermal vertical loop questions - noob - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well I didn't get very far today. I tried to call Waterfurnace and waited on hold for a "technician" for 20 minutes before I gave up and hung up. I'm doubting they'll be able to tell me much anyway.

I think I'm going to try and find a good dealer and get an independent evaluation of the situation.

-Joe

csgo,

We apologize for not responding earlier, as we just found your post. We will be more than happy to provide you with a list of WaterFurnace dealers in your area. Please contact us at (260)478-5667 and request to speak with the Consumer Relations department.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

Just curious what the end solution for this problem was.

Was it SW2-2?

Thanks
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djastram View Post
    Just curious what the end solution for this problem was.

Was it SW2-2?

Thanks
    DJ
    Well so far there has been no resolution. The dealer came out said the refrigerant readings were low and tried to add refrigerant. After adding he said the numbers weren't right and he would have to order parts.

A week or two later they replaced the big coil in the unit and the expansion valve. The coil had streaks on it where he said it was leaking and was a common problem.

I still have the problem and they said they would have to get a flush cart and check the anti-freeze levels in the loops. It's been a few weeks and I've heard nothing.

Guess I should start calling again.

The only other odd thing about my unit is that it makes virtually ALL the hot water I need in the winter, but almost none in the summer. That's just the opposite of what I read it's supposed to do. In the winter it stays at the high limit much of the time (I have a separate storage tank). I wish I understood why my unit is so much different than everyone elses.

Nothing more to report.

I think this could be an issue other than the loop, I would not be afraid of 29 degree EWT at this time of year. I had a four ton Envision doing exactly what yours is doing. The EWT was 30 and LWT was 24. You have to remember the Envison water flow light is controlled by a thermistor on a refrigerant line, if you have a bad txv it will trigger a water flow light. The first thing you have to verify is how many gpm are flowing through the unit. With these temperatures if you have 15 gpm I would say it is either a bad txv or a restriction in the txv, especially if the system has functioned properly prior to this.

Quote Originally Posted by softail124 View Post
    I think this could be an issue other than the loop, I would not be afraid of 29 degree EWT at this time of year. I had a four ton Envision doing exactly what yours is doing. The EWT was 30 and LWT was 24. You have to remember the Envison water flow light is controlled by a thermistor on a refrigerant line, if you have a bad txv it will trigger a water flow light. The first thing you have to verify is how many gpm are flowing through the unit. With these temperatures if you have 15 gpm I would say it is either a bad txv or a restriction in the txv, especially if the system has functioned properly prior to this.
    Ok, I've gotta ask what a TVX is?

No, they have not done anything to measure water flow. They measured the pressure and temp. That's all.

-Joe

A couple of things...

1) I think your loops are properly sized, at least for my area... (SE SD).
    2) My desuperheater (hwg) only works in the winter as well. Not enough run time in the summer.
    3) Ask him to consider a QT flow center for your system. (I think they are the greatest ever!)
    4) Ask him to tell you what SW2-2 is set to. If it is set to "loop", your temps (29 in, 25 out) should not cause it to lock out on water flow. If it is set to "well" it could be a problem.
    5) I haven't had very good luck determining the freeze point of glycol mix using a hygrometer, so I just throw a sample in the freezer over night. I then defrost it, while monitoring the temp of the fluid. You need 100% liquid at 15F. The problem with glycol, it gets thicker when it gets cold, and colder when it gets thick, etc. etc. Looks like a daquari.

Joe
    I apologize for not explaining, the TXV is the thermal expansion valve which you indicate has been replaced. If your dealer is properly trained, they will be able to tell you the gpm flowing through the unit by measuring the pressure differential between the supply and return. Once the gpm and temperature differental have been taken, you are able to figure out if this machine is running according to factory specs. If these readings are not normal, refrigeration gauges need to be placed on the unit and superheat and subcooling values need to be checked. With this done, it should be very easy to diagnose what the problem is. A properly trained dealer is essential here, the equipment is second to none.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12