Thread: help with job?

Confused

hey guys im new to the field and im looking for my first hvac job. I have been doing alittle work with a small company (temporarily) when ever they have work .I have two interviews 2maro and i need help deciding what job would be best for an entry level tech. Iam from the chicagoland are. would you work for a large company or a smaller one ? and why?

thank you.

the bigger company is paying per clean and check and the smaller one is paying $10 and hour

I prefer the smaller company. I dont like the politics that go on in larger companies. I also did not get as much stress. It seems that larger companies want to work you to death. Good luck in your venture!
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

it all....

...depends on your long term goal. If you want benefits and career then the choice is clear

I really would like benefits, and good pay. My goal right now is to learn alot and then in a few years look toward the benefits. right now im almost 20 years old , just a kid trying to get his foot in the door and learn.

Smaller is flexible. Just make sure there are no MALE FAMILY MEMBERS in the field with you!!!

A family run small business is fine, until such time as there is a male in the filed who is related to the owner.

Then the party is over and it's time to find a new place.

Politics all over again.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Which one offers the most in training,benefits, and possible advancement??

the bigger companys manager told me that he knows that im right out of school and he says this would be perfect to get some experience, the job basically right now will start with clean and checks. the smaller company they had me doing everything such as install and then i went on one service call with a guy. I just want the best learning experience. the smaller company only pays half for insurance when the bigger company is paying insurance 401k stock option dental eye exam and all that good stuff!

I honestly dont know where to go

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd try the larger company,if the training opportunities are there,since the benefits are better.

Ask both about training ,what will the send you to,paid time,or after hours,etc..

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address

R12 rules right on

R12rules, you hit the nail on the head. I could tell you many horror stories about working for companiers who have relatives working in the company, especially males. They have to continually (day after day, after day, after day, after day) prove to the owner/s that they are worthwhile. Usually at the expense of the other employees. Many relative employees don't have a clue about what they are doing, and they are quick to push the blame on someone else.

They are always looking for ways to fortify their value to the company. I worked for this company for 8 years and the boss loved me so my job was not in trouble. But a month after his son was hired I gave my two weeks notice. I got another job before this dude turn into "The Godzilla Tech."
    After about two more months another tech I worked with left because of the owners son.

SO if a new comer asked me what to look out for I'd say "working for a company that has close relatives working within. run, Run, Run, and don't look back.

Ps. I once worked for a company that was successful until the owner hired his two sons. Theydestored the business.