Comfortmaker-No Ignition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18
  1. #1

    Confused Comfortmaker-No Ignition

    I have an Inner City "Comfortmaker" furnace that will not light. Has Pilot-less ignition. When thermostat is raised, fan cycles on, I can hear, and smell, gas valve cycle on momentarily, numerous times, but get no ignition. I have 120v to igniter, for approximately 8 or 9 seconds, prior to gas "solenoid?" activates, then voltage goes to 0v, gas solenoid runs a few seconds, then shuts off. Fan continues to run, and process repeats, after a minute or two. Igniter ohm test shows "open" circuit. Do I just have a faulty igniter? Model # GU1100A121N, SERIAL # LN33215429

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    962
    it sounds like you are on the right path......ignitor bad. Are you a tech asking this question?
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc4runner View Post
    gas solenoid runs a few seconds, then shuts off.
    Must be a bad gas solenoid, whatever that is, gas is dangerous, I would call a service company, and possibly literally save yourself.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by makinmoney View Post
    Are you a tech asking this question?
    Does he have this under his name? "Professional Member"
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  5. #5
    Actually, I'm an automotive technician, with a good understanding of electrical systems. This furnace is in my home. I was out of town for 3 days, with my kids, came home, house is cold. The furnace fan is running, with no heat. Followed "restart procedure", this is what I have determined, to be not working.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    962
    well done Mr.Bill......I missed that! It's always nice to have a second set of eyes.

    Sounds like a bad ignitor.....does it glow orange? forget voltage.....it's all about amp draw.......
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc4runner View Post
    Actually, I'm an automotive technician, with a good understanding of electrical systems. This furnace is in my home. I was out of town for 3 days, with my kids, came home, house is cold. The furnace fan is running, with no heat. Followed "restart procedure", this is what I have determined, to be not working.
    You know Buddy, I can appreciate that, my neighbor is an auto mechanic, owns his own shop. I can do a lot of my own auto repairs, but there is some "like electrical" that blow my mind. Last summer I had an "electrical" issue with my a/c on my truck, I spent two days trying to figure it out, in "HOT" Houston. He drove it to work and brought it home the same day, "fixed" he said he did not want a dime, but I gave him $150.00. Bottom line, is we are just not allowed to do play by plays here, per forum rules, I wished I could help.
    Mr. Bill
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  8. #8
    Dear Makinmoney,
    It was a bad igniter. I was pretty sure it was. Didn't mean to step on any toes, or break any forum rules, first time I've ever posted a tech question here.
    Sorry about that,
    Keith

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,899
    Quote Originally Posted by makinmoney View Post
    well done Mr.Bill......I missed that! It's always nice to have a second set of eyes.

    Sounds like a bad ignitor.....does it glow orange? forget voltage.....it's all about amp draw.......
    Twilly wonders if giving the consumer the answer to the problem is DIY? Just sayin
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    25
    call a tech

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,949
    He just wanted to let everyone know he was fixing it himself and if anything went wrong there would be a paper trail.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,480
    So, if you're a homeowner, handy with tools, make a living doing service and repair on cars, trucks, appliances or maybe a maintenance kind of guy, it's cold on a weekend and the furnace man's answering machine says he'll "get back to you." What do you do? Break out the tools and try to determine what's wrong with the heat! You and I aren't going to let the family go all weekend without a water heater or the dishwasher pukes, we're gonna try to get it running. I don't slight the guy for trying to get the family warm. I have a policy that I've adhered to for years. If the H/O is a knowledgeable putterer, I'll walk him through a few "fixes" over the phone. How many times have you saved the day and helped out a customer, when the call goes something like. "I don't have any heat." Ok, does the furnace blower come on when you turn the manual fan switch to On? " No." When did you last change the filter? "Just this morning." There is a switch behind the blower access door, that must be actuated to allow the furnace to run. Check the door and make sure you have it back on the furnace right. "Yup, there it goes! it was just the door! Thanks! Is this encouraging DIY? Simple things like a tripped breaker, or other stuff like a switch accidently turned off, doesn't always require a technical solution.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    I have a policy that I've adhered to for years. If the H/O is a knowledgeable putterer, I'll walk him through a few "fixes" over the phone. How many times have you saved the day and helped out a customer, when the call goes something like. "I don't have any heat." Ok, does the furnace blower come on when you turn the manual fan switch to On? " No." When did you last change the filter? "Just this morning." There is a switch behind the blower access door, that must be actuated to allow the furnace to run. Check the door and make sure you have it back on the furnace right. "Yup, there it goes! it was just the door! Thanks! Is this encouraging DIY? Simple things like a tripped breaker, or other stuff like a switch accidentally turned off, doesn't always require a technical solution.
    I have personally done this many times, especially during a Nascar race but in my business, I make my own rules. This is not my forum, so I don't make the rules here, you are not comparing apples to apples. As Twilli said, the answer was given here, and makinmoney broke the rules of , "NO DIY".
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event