Thread: Return duct

My very large return grill is on the top of an eight foot wall that prohibits me from putting any pictures on that wall. I want to lower the grill to the bottom of the wall. What effect does bringing the return from the top to the bottom have on efficiency?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If the wall is just a single "stud"(2X4,and the air is being pulled from above,it's likely to reuce air flow,have a Pro check it.

If the air is being pulled from below,no problem,just be sure there are no obstructions or elctrical in the stud space.

The location high or low has very little effect on the operation or indoor comfort,though there are a lot of "wifes tales" that it does,so expect to hear a few of of them here.

Return Duct

Dash,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is simply a 2x4 wall and the draw is top to bottom. The return grill is a 20x20 inch and is quite unsightly in such a small, predominant space and thus the reason to want to move it down. Will it suffer if I went to a smaller grill (16x6)? Thanks.

If the wall space is 20"X3.5",the wall can only handle ,about and I stress "about",300 cfm and for that a 20X8 would be okay,if it's 400 cfms a 20X12.

It's odd that they used such a large grille for a 20X3.5 wall space,are you sure you are "seeing" everything.Usually the grille is too small,not that much too large.

Have you removed the grille and looked inside with a flashlight,to check and be sure??

Duct Return

The wall itself is approx. 60" wide and 8' high (2x4 studs). Haven't peered down the wall yet. Weekend project is to remove and replace part of the sheet rock (big crack) and, while doing so, move the grill down; thus the inquiries. Will there be (or should there be) duct work in the wall? If there is, I will pare that down to make the grill work.

Thanks for the info.

I doubt any duct work is in the wall.

While you have some of it "open" look to see if you can caulk any gaps ,they will likely have "dust" around them from pulling air from places they shouldn't be .

They are often not well sealed ,coming thru the floor,so just check around,and seal any openings you can.