Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Posted by Hiltontech.... I have seen people get ripped off by buying a new unit when their unit is only 5 years old and only need an repair, myself as long as I can repair it an feel that the unit will run for some time before going down again I'll do the repairs first before a change out.

Now, if changeouts are being considered because the tech is a moron, that's unethical. But I have to say that most techs I've encountered who cannot solve a problem will call for tech support. In fact, most are told to do so by their employers.

There are a bunch of factors to consider here. I've seen 5 year old units that were ready for the boneyard way sooner than 5 years.
    If a unit is 5 years old and has a completely deteriorated condenser coil, rusted compressor, accumulator and filter drier, pitted contactor and unbalanced od fan as well as a rusted indoor coil, will you then change the outdoor unit coil??
    If you do, you're a fool. You will soon be called right back to the same jobsite to explain to a disgruntled customer why you are there again pricing another expensive repair when "You were just out here last month".

Come on guys, how many times have we heard that line from the bid shopping, bid chiseling customer who has no concept of what we deal with on a daily basis??

[Edited by chillbilly on 04-10-2005 at 12:14 PM]

chillbilly

Let me explain, this is what's going on where I live, the customers around here are fed up with some of the a\c companies, as I said there is one that is about to go under because word has it that this guy only does change outs,reason is he doesn't know what the hell he is doing so he takes the easy way out, I'm seeing way to many change outs around here and less trouble shooting to fix the problem

I hear a lot of excuses for why cheap people try doing HVAC work for themselves but what is most interesting is that when they get themselves into trouble they always want the very people they claim are so bad to help them out.

And we in the HVAC industry think of ourselves as whores? Geeezz, what does that make these DIYers?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Cool Think~Positive !

Alot of negative's don't equal a POSITIVE.

Just remember that what goes around comes around back to you..
    I have been in this field for more that 27 years,and have seen alot of changes.First off equipment,some better some worse.Technicians some better some just don't care.

The real idea is for a service technician is to find and correct the problem with customer's central heating and air conditioning system.But, it is up to the customer to make the final decision. If the cost of making the repairs is NOT cost effective,and choosing to upgrade to a system that will provide better comfort with less operating cost then I am all for selling the customer what they want.

That's my opinion..<<<<<<<<<aircooled>>>>>>
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    I hear a lot of excuses for why cheap people try doing HVAC work for themselves but what is most interesting is that when they get themselves into trouble they always want the very people they claim are so bad to help them out.

And we in the HVAC industry think of ourselves as whores? Geeezz, what does that make these DIYers?

Well put Robo. The original poster has been nothing but critical about our trade as a whole.
    It's not fair to generalize about the people in our business and blame them for the poor choices DIY's and HO'S make.
    These people continue to point the finger so that the finger doesn't get turned in the proper direction.

True Story

" the good has to suffer for the bad"
    There are a lot of good honest techs as most of us here, but when a tech that lives near you screws up it makes some people look at us as a whole,
    Example: true story. about a month ago an old lady here where I live called a tech at her house to clean and check her unit, it was three years old, well the tech went out and cleaned the unit, after checking the unit he told the old lady that her unit was in real bad shape and told her that he could do a change out, she believed him at first, he told the woman that he needed $1000.00 up front to order the unit, he left, about 3-4 days later he was a no show so she called the company that I worked for, he went out and found that he let all of the charge out of the unit, the woman called the first tech out and told him that another tech was there to look at it also, well he showed up and was pissed at the other tech for blowing the whistle on him, a fight almost took place because the tech who I worked for told him that he was setting a bad example for the rest of us, he told the bad tech that if he wasn't off of the woman's lot he was calling the cops, so he left, about three days later I ran into the bad tech and told him that he was heading down the wrong road and couldn't believe he could have did such a thing, I also told him that hewas scum, he said a few choice words to me and left.
    The tech that I'm referring to has been in business for 10 years.
    Happy that we have more good techs than bad ones as the one I just told you about.

P.S...The cops were called out and the police officer got her $1000.00 check back, no charges were filed for lack of evidence.
    The techs here has to be the good because who in there right mind would come here after work and help others with there problem for nothing in return.
    For me the techs here have been very helpful to me dealing with my ice machine questions, when it comes to a\c related questions I'll do my part also

Are you a landlord baffin? seems from your post you have properties and that you hire techs advice and try to fix things yourself Then your driven to us for answers and now blame us for your lack of aptitude or closing in a good technition to work for you.
    The experienced people here are used to this .
    never say never

I do have to sympathize with some homeowners on this issue. Crappy workmanship on my parents oil heat system was the main reason I got into the HVAC field. Back in 1990 they had a service tech come out for the annual cleaning and tuning. My dad went downstairs to check things after they left, what a mess, screws laying on the floor instead of being on the unit etc. In 1992 I wanted to add heat to our workshop, and was determined to do it myself. But here's the catch, I wanted to do it right, and I was looking for a career change at the time. I went to school nights to learn the trade. I bought all of my equipment and went into bussiness for myself.

Had I been smart I would have worked for a company for awhile first, the first couple of years almost killed me, both finacially and physically I did get that furnace put in, and it was a work of art. Still running like a charm to this day. I agree 100% about not giving step by step advice to DIYers, but I also understand a homeowners frustration. Today my bussiness is very succesful. I get a lot of bussiness from homeowners that are at their wits end trying to get a problem fixed. I recently gained a life long customer by fixing a problem that they had for years. No one could figure it out. Oil fired boiler, would lockout every week or so. Techs from other companies replaced transformer (twice), primary (twice), fuel pump, fuel line, and aquastat. Finally they suggested they should replace their 6 year old boiler to get rid of the problem. I got called because someone reffered me to them, I went and checked everything on that burner. Turned out the motor had a dead spot in it. Replaced motor and problem solved.

I agree with Baffin in the fact that there are to many parts changers out there, and when they run out of parts to change, well just change the equipment. The parts changer gives us all a bad name. If I diagnose a problem, replace the part that I say is bad, I will stand behind that particular problem for a year. Very rarely do I misdiagnose a problem, but when I do I don't expect my customer to pay for it again and again. It's crappy workmanship and parts changers that are fueling the DIY market. Most people don't mind paying good money to have something installed or fixed, but they don't like to keep on paying for it time and time again.

And finally some advice to homeowners. If you are looking to replace your current HVAC system, get at least 3 quotes. Get references from some of the jobs that the bidding contractors have done, are their customers happy with what they have done? Let's face it, it's a large chunk of cash to lay out, be smart and do your homework. And once you find a good reputable company, use them exclusively, for all your HVAC installation and service needs. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by jdenyer
    I recently gained a life long customer by fixing a problem that they had for years.

And finally some advice to homeowners. If you are looking to replace your current HVAC system, get at least 3 quotes. Get references from some of the jobs that the bidding contractors have done, are their customers happy with what they have done? Let's face it, it's a large chunk of cash to lay out, be smart and do your homework. And once you find a good reputable company, use them exclusively, for all your HVAC installation and service needs. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Customer for life or until they get three bids??

If you have a "good" HVAC company,three bids will likely confuse more then help,for most poeple.

Originally posted by dash
    Originally posted by jdenyer
    I recently gained a life long customer by fixing a problem that they had for years.

Customer for life or until they get three bids??

If you have a "good" HVAC company,three bids will likely confuse more then help,for most poeple.
    True Fortunatly in my area customers are pretty loyal. They usually don't complain about price, but they will complain if ya don't fix it right the first time. The bids are only part of the equation, refrences from other customers will tell you who you want to go with. I would rather pay more and get a great job than pay less and get crap. But if I pay more and get crap then I'm gonna get really mad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456