Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Well I gotta admit I agree with you Baffin. While I like to believe that most of us are honest, I sure do hear a lot of stuff like this from new customers. I think some of the stuff some techs try to pull is because they don't know how to fix it so they just want to replace it. That is just cheating the customer and themselves. I understand your frustation, I get pissed too, when I am trying to be honest and do a thourough job, and get interrogated from the customer. Because some dishonest hack has screwed him in the past, I don't blame the customer from being cautious or even a little suspicious, but it sucks that I have the hassle because of some jack leg crook out there. Now I feel better too.
    duct tape and cable ties will fix anything, if that don't work add a 90-340.

baffin; Money is not easy to come by and alot of people can't just throw money at a problem to make it dissappear so I see your frustration. When I get customers that have been burnt before and are skeptical, I let them know that if I don't fix it, they don't pay. So far so good.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by baffin789
    [B]Where do I start? First, I didn't see the "DIY's KEEP OUT" sign.

CT2 You stated "I am glad you feel better> When you have time to actually think maybee you can tell us how any professional in this business stands to gain a thing by screwing our customers over"

It's called turning what SHOULD be a $100 job into a $800 job. You know what I mean. 99% of people don't know squat about air conditioning and are at the complete mercy of the tech. Some of you on this site sound like you'd like it to stay that way. My opinion is the greater number people that gain knowledge about HVAC the better it is for the HVAC profession because the incompetents and crooks will be exposed for what they are (unfortunately, that's all I've found). Sure, a small percentage may use that knowledge to fix some things but there would be much greater benefit to the pro's business.

Shophoud, To make it quick, in every case more was attempted to be sold than to actually fix the problem. Never has a tech done even the basics of system charge measuring. They all have slapped the gauges on and told me I was under charged. No temp readings ever. The preventitive maintainance visits I've seen are a joke. They're just opportunities for the company to make a bigger sale.

Maybe someone can give me a good reference for the following areas.
    Concan, TX 30 miles NE of Uvalde
    Riviera, TX on Baffin Bay 20 Miles S. of Kingsville
    Spring Branch, Tx 20 miles N. of San Antonio
    Thanks, Got to go for the Day.

Dude you stated that guys are turning what should be a 100 dollar job into an 800 dollar job. I have to laugh. Most companies are now charging 100 dollars to just come out so if your thinking your gonna get out for little cheapy bills in hvac your sadly mistaken unless youve been using handymen with limited knowlege as i think this is the case. I dont get out of bed for a 100 bux dude.

Whooee. This one has got hot. I'll be finishing up my HVAC program next month & my instructors have shown us several units installed by the supposedly better contractors in the area.(Next county over from where i live.) Some of them are great and some are pitifull. Just like every other profession there are people who care about their work and those that don't. I'm not sure i will even get a job in this field now unless it is with a small service company. I live in a rural area with only 2 contractors that are over a two man outfit. One does good looking installs, but he uses duct tape instead of dampers, doesn't use nitrogen when soldering linesets, purges with refrigerant instead of nitrogen, and only has one recovery unit that stay's on the service truck. Lines are cut on changeouts by the installers - no recovery of refrigerant. The other contractor's installs aren't much better. I'm 51 years old & thought the HVAC field would be a good way to make a living since the textile mills have died out, but i didn't spend two years in school to go to work for a contractor that will make me commit felonies, lose my certification, and go to jail! Sure wish some of you better contractors were in my area!

Model man, you should look at the state of your occupational field as a huge opportunity. That goes for everyone else on this site, most of which appear to me to like their profession so much that they are spending time here to learn more. It still amazes me though that there's almost a hatred born by some here towards DIY's. Do you guys do minor repairs on your own cars? There's probably a group of professional car mechanic's out there that hate you too! They'd tell you that you could get injured, your eating into their business, you didn't go to mechanic school, your cheap, and on and on. Maybe a law needs to be made that say nobody can fix anything unless they're certified in the proper field. Talk about the dumbing down of society.

The bigger issue here is that something needs to be done to get all the crooks and incompetents out of your profession so I don't have to get on the net to figure out how to do something right and you guys can get a better reputation with the rewards that come with it. I'll be working on it from the consumer side in my little area of the US but you guys need to get together and do something on a much bigger scale. Nobody's for more regulations, but there has to be some way to begin to educate the masses on identifying incompetent tech work. Maybe say something in a weekly column in a local newpaper or a tip in your advertisements like "If your last A/C service tech never even went in your house to check the inside portion you need to call us".

Before some of you guys go off about the car mechanic stuff. Yes, I do have a very good mechanic that gets top dollar for his work. I'm so comfortable with him, my wife takes her car and picks it up. He's honest and does factory quality work and get's paid accordingly. I just wish he was in the HVAC business. You all have a good weekend.

So, baffin. Do you rent out any of these homes? Or do you live part time in each of them?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Live in one and don't rent the others. I let friends and family use the ones I don't live in. I usually try to get them to mow though. Between kids in too many activities and work I should rent because I only can get away for a weekend about once a month and that usually entails fixing or working on something. Let this be a notice to all fisherman thinking of buying a fishing cabin. Don't do it! Before the Bay house I fished my rear off. Only the die hards would get up early, hit the road at 3am, fish all day, and endure the clean up when you got home at 10pm. Buy a house on the water, and you spend most of your time working on something and being a fishing guide to all your friends who aren't passionate about fishing but like the idea of walking out and getting into a boat tied off on a pier at sunrise to go fish. Take off on a serious two day, grind it out fishing trip and you end up pissing someone off who you didn't invite.

How many doctors,lawyers,mechanics,ect. offer advice on how to do it yourself.5 houses,your not a charity case,feeling sorry for you doesn't pay my bills.By the way, last time I checked the hvac guy isn't the only one to worry about,I'd rather deal with him than a lawyer.

Angry UGGGHHH

This guy has 15 posts here, all on this thread which he started and he professes to know the global state of the HVAC profession.
    I wish your auto mechanic knew something about heating and air too.
    Oh...never mind.

[Edited by chillbilly on 04-08-2005 at 08:21 PM]

Originally posted by baffin789
    Where do I start? First, I didn't see the "DIY's KEEP OUT" sign.

CT2 You stated "I am glad you feel better> When you have time to actually think maybee you can tell us how any professional in this business stands to gain a thing by screwing our customers over"

It's called turning what SHOULD be a $100 job into a $800 job. You know what I mean. 99% of people don't know squat about air conditioning and are at the complete mercy of the tech. Some of you on this site sound like you'd like it to stay that way. My opinion is the greater number people that gain knowledge about HVAC the better it is for the HVAC profession because the incompetents and crooks will be exposed for what they are (unfortunately, that's all I've found). Sure, a small percentage may use that knowledge to fix some things but there would be much greater benefit to the pro's business.

Shophoud, To make it quick, in every case more was attempted to be sold than to actually fix the problem. Never has a tech done even the basics of system charge measuring. They all have slapped the gauges on and told me I was under charged. No temp readings ever. The preventitive maintainance visits I've seen are a joke. They're just opportunities for the company to make a bigger sale.

Maybe someone can give me a good reference for the following areas.
    Concan, TX 30 miles NE of Uvalde
    Riviera, TX on Baffin Bay 20 Miles S. of Kingsville
    Spring Branch, Tx 20 miles N. of San Antonio
    Thanks, Got to go for the Day.

Have you been calling Service Experts? It sounds like it. How do you determine it should be a $100 job or $800 job? Do you know your contractors cost of doing bussiness? I realy doubt it. A cold hard fact about hvac is many, many contractors go bankrupt every year because they don't even know their own break even rates and costs of doing bussiness. Many are charging $100 for the $800 job. I just got a lay off for this very reason. The shop I was working for was busy as hell, but losing money. It's not do to material waste, it was poor pricing and high gas prices. Maybe a couple more $800 jobs my kids would still have health insurance. No worries, I'll find another shop to call home in a week or two.

Re: Disagree

Originally posted by baffin789

Maybe techs treat homeowners in different neighboorhoods differently. The expensive home owners get the shaft. Hopefully he little old ladies living on a pension in an old home are treated differently.
    It's been my extensive experience with all of the companies I have worked for, some good and some bad, they kiss the ass of the expensive home owners because they want the referrals tot eh other expensive home owners. It has also been my experience that the expensive home buyers don't pay very timely and try very hard to not pay fully. Maybe this is how they go the money for the expensive home.

berad; Don't blame people that make more money than me or you.

Baffin

baffin789,
    You are right on one thing, their are techs/companies who try sticking an entire new unit down your throat,there are two reason for this, first: The tech doesn't know what the hell he is doing so he takes the easy way out and does a change out which is the easiest thing in the world for a tech to do, second: Some of these techs/companies are money hungry and want to make the big money, fast money as some call it, I have seen people get ripped off by buying a new unit when their unit is only 5 years old and only need an repair, myself as long as I can repair it an feel that the unit will run for some time before going down again I'll do the repairs first before a change out.
    So next time you have problem do your homework in the yellow pages, ask around about the company that you might be interested in doing business with because let's face it there is scum out there and not only in the HVAC business but all types.
    We have a company here where I live that almost all of the time would do a change out instead of doing the repair, this business in question is just about to go under so if any here are doing the something beware this could happen to you also so try to avoid doing just change outs if at all possible and just repair the unit and make the customer happy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast