Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I get tired of people asking for favors, I don't mind helping people out but if we helped everyone how would we make a living?
    Some of us get this too: If I pay you to do this part of the job will you give me a break on the other part of the job to help keep the cost down, my answer to them is no because I have to make money, if I can't make money then I spend time with my family which in the summer months is not often enough.
    Now, there are techs who rip off their customers but normally don't last very long, you see this in any type of business not just the HVAC business

Originally posted by baffin789
    99% of people don't know squat about air conditioning and are at the complete mercy of the tech. Some of you on this site sound like you'd like it to stay that way. My opinion is the greater number people that gain knowledge about HVAC the better it is for the HVAC profession because the incompetents and crooks will be exposed for what they are (unfortunately, that's all I've found).
    This is not true, there is a wealth of info on this website alone. If you ask a question we will anwser it, as long as it is not a step-by-step repair question.

From this site I have learned alot and have changed how I do buisness.

If you search on this site you will find the info you need.

Don't put us all in the same basket, we are not all the same.

BTW you will pay for quailty.

You can only get things two ways: Fast, Cheap or Good. Remember you only get to choose two.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

It"s called confidence, my friend. As for the diy"s ,in the long run you"re going to call me anyway.I just hope you don"t get killed or hurt before you do.The more you screw it up,the longer it takes me to figure out what you did and the bigger the bill. Take it from me ,you don"t learn this overnight,if you could you wouldn"t be calling me in the middle of the night because you"re freezing to death. And of course i love it when they say MY UNCLE CHARLIE USED TO DO HVAC ON THE SIDE AND HE SAID YOU SHOULD CHECK THIS AND THEN DO THIS.... next time ... call uncle charlie......i don"t need the frustration

All small cities in out-lying areas of big cities if not completely out in the sticks. In the country areas the quality of technicians can be really bad. Add that to a lack of training, competition, and company business planning and you will see this garbage. Where those sites are located you wont find much that I am aware of but here in Dallas as well in Houston and Austin even some spots in San Antonio you will find some good contractors. Competition drives the quality always.

baffin789

for the most part you have a point in every thing you said
    i fell for anyone thats has you type of thinking about the hvac companies out there
    you view is well taken and your point is made

now it is my turn
    there are fare and few companies out there that rip thier coustomers off. i hear on here and other places words like
    i was raped, ripped off, an idiot was working on it, hyway robber, and con artist and a lot of other sayings. oh yea bigheaded hvac guys
    and that pisses me off to
    most of us on here try to help as much as possible and in the few casws we dont or refuse to is because the person asking doesnt have a clue and could get seriously get hurt
    you are not changing a light bulb or putting down a new kitchen flor. this equipment can be very dangerous and can easly kill someone. as far as prices well you must not go to the doctor,lawer,dentist,car repairshop,or the store
    a lawer makes an average of 250 an hour and that is a cheap one plus whatever for phone calls to. a doctor well 95 for each patient and sees about 10 to 15 an hour. car shop is about 95 an hour
    most hvac shops are about 60 to 95
    some hourly and some flat rate
    as far as two pounds a year and they dont fix it. well is it worth fixing or not. repairs cost and with rentals equipment gets abused and neglected so if it costs to fix then so be it. also sometimes equipment get so old and worn out it needs to be replaced even if it can be fixed is it worth it or is the best advise to a coustomer to think about replacing it and stop throwing you monie away
    so have you been beat up or not we have no way of knowing
    are we honest or not well we are here and willing to help for free when we can and what ever advise we give is far from dishonest. we dont have to help and we dont aske for anything in return except a little respect.
    now i feel better to
    thank you for listening

It really Pi$$es me off to hear someone that knows little about what is actually involved in installing a system come here just to complain and accuse hard working -honest people of screwing the customers that we serve, especially when he got his info and reassurances from others that know little more than he does

Go to Wal-Mart they have free advice.

baffin--May we ask your occupation?

wormy i'm in hvac school now i'm also in west tn. am i getting ito the wrong field

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    baffin789

for the most part you have a point in every thing you said
    i fell for anyone thats has you type of thinking about the hvac companies out there
    you view is well taken and your point is made

now it is my turn
    there are fare and few companies out there that rip thier coustomers off. i hear on here and other places words like
    i was raped, ripped off, an idiot was working on it, hyway robber, and con artist and a lot of other sayings. oh yea bigheaded hvac guys
    and that pisses me off to
    most of us on here try to help as much as possible and in the few casws we dont or refuse to is because the person asking doesnt have a clue and could get seriously get hurt
    you are not changing a light bulb or putting down a new kitchen flor. this equipment can be very dangerous and can easly kill someone. as far as prices well you must not go to the doctor,lawer,dentist,car repairshop,or the store
    a lawer makes an average of 250 an hour and that is a cheap one plus whatever for phone calls to. a doctor well 95 for each patient and sees about 10 to 15 an hour. car shop is about 95 an hour
    most hvac shops are about 60 to 95
    some hourly and some flat rate
    as far as two pounds a year and they dont fix it. well is it worth fixing or not. repairs cost and with rentals equipment gets abused and neglected so if it costs to fix then so be it. also sometimes equipment get so old and worn out it needs to be replaced even if it can be fixed is it worth it or is the best advise to a coustomer to think about replacing it and stop throwing you monie away
    so have you been beat up or not we have no way of knowing
    are we honest or not well we are here and willing to help for free when we can and what ever advise we give is far from dishonest. we dont have to help and we dont aske for anything in return except a little respect.
    now i feel better to
    thank you for listening
    Some lawyers make $250 and hour - that is not a typical rate. The rate for doctors vary. The rate for auto repair shops vary - $95 is not typical. Compensation is generally controlled by supply and demand. Education also factors into the equation. In order to be a doctor or lawyer, you need a higher level of education - typically 3 years of law school beyond college and 4 years of medical school plus interning and residency.

If you are trying to equate the compensation for HVAC mechanics to doctors and lawyers then you are ignoring supply and demand economics. Typically, you will be paid based on how much money you make your company (supply and demand again).HVAC mechanics are not is as much demand as doctors. Lawyers are another issue - the country may have too many lawyers and the typical salary is not what you think.

[QUOTE][i]
    It's called turning what SHOULD be a $100 job into a $800 job. You know what I mean. 99% of people don't know squat about air conditioning and are at the complete mercy of the tech. Some of you on this site sound like you'd like it to stay that way. My opinion is the greater number people that gain knowledge about HVAC the better it is for the HVAC profession because the incompetents and crooks will be exposed for what they are (unfortunately, that's all I've found). Sure, a small percentage may use that knowledge to fix some things but there would be much greater benefit to the pro's business.

Shophoud, To make it quick, in every case more was attempted to be sold than to actually fix the problem. Never has a tech done even the basics of system charge measuring. They all have slapped the gauges on and told me I was under charged. No temp readings ever. The preventitive maintainance visits I've seen are a joke. They're just opportunities for the company to make a bigger sale.

baffin;

Your post is very revealing and I have to say that on this subject, you are correct.
    The "consumer" based economy is becoming a thing of the past where some in our industry prey on customer ignorance to maximize profit. I have no reason to feel threatened by giving a customer the info they need. That is what my licenses and training have prepared me to do!
    It's not a license to steal...it's a license to perform work and services in an ethical manner.
    Also note that a customer is different from a consumer. This is a profound quote...."Services MUST CONTAIN INFORMATION as well as quality workmanship. The new customer must DEMAND it and we are in a position to DELIVER IT"
    The DIY, customer, HO, etc. are fully responsible for educating themselves and finding a contractor who will impart his knowledge to them as needed.
    With all of these information resources, there is absolutely no reason a DIY cannot find someone he/she trusts.
    But this does not mean they should attempt to perform the tasks associated with this or any other trade. That's simply unsafe, unethical and illegal.

Sorry about the long winded response...hope this helps.

[Edited by chillbilly on 04-07-2005 at 09:03 AM]

I'm glad to see many coming around to the proper way to deal with DIYs on this site. Please Homeowners, don't take this personally, but ours IS a profession, as in 'professional?" I have made reference that advice from this site, is like having your Dr. make a diagnosis over the phone. It can't be done and SHOULDN'T be done, and if the correct diagnosis is somehow made, it is by accident, not by design. Most if not all of us would rather not try to quote work over the phone, but most of us will also entertain general questions; very general.

By not providing this 'sight unseen' advice we are in no way "screwing our customers." But if we give incorrect advice, we may very well do harm rather than good.

Example: You provide advice to a homeowner, say on this site, and that homeowner takes it to heart and tries to facilitate a repair on their own. The courtroom drame goes something like this:

"But your honor, this person was a so-called professional, and he told me that I should be able to do this repair myself. I really appreciated his help, and I didn't force him to tell me what to do. Little did I know it would result in my family getting gassed!"

Judge: "I find reasonable cause to hold Joe Knowitall Heating and Cooling 50% responsible for the catastrophe that resulted in the homeowner following his advice. I find for the plaintiff, 1.5 million dollars of which Joe Knowitall HTg. and Cooling is responsible for $750K!!!!! Court adjourned!"

Aside from the injury or loss of life, which is reason enough not to engage in this type of "advice," none of us desire to be put in this position. But, if we continue to impart this 'wisdom' then we bring it on ourselves.

It also belittles the expertise and knowledge that many of us have worked years and years to acquire. I repeat myself at this point: We cannot expect you, the homeowner, to place any value on what we provide you whether it is a product, service, or advice, if WE don't associate any value with it!

Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast