Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High Electric bill due to Heat pump

I have recently bought a home with a Rheem 10 seer heat pump system. I am assuming its 8 years old being the house was built in 2002. I am not really familiar with heat pumps. However, I have just received my second electric bill and it went from $175 for Nov. - Dec. to $705 from Dec. - Jan. I live in Kentucky, and it has been colder than normal probably 5 degrees colder for the Nov-Dec months. Not enough to really offset the $500 difference. The problem I am having is the upstairs system seems to not go into Aux heat all the time, just here and there and keeps the temp damn near its set temp. The downstairs unit, however, always has the red light on showing auxiliary heat. Even when its not running and just starts up at 1* less than the setting it goes right in to the auxiliary heat. Now I know Heat pumps were made to be more efficient and they lose their efficiency when the weather gets extremely cold but the $700 electric bill for a 2400 sq. house seems kind of out of whack. Outside the one unit's line is warm, where as, the other units copper line is very cold with ice on it. I have a feeling it could be low on refrigerant but I am not sure if that would cause the this kind of energy consumption. I am going to call a service tech, but I want to have as much info for him b/c I have heard to many horror stories about techs coming out and screwing things up on heat pumps. If any of you have any ideas what could be wrong causing the huge electric bills I would appreciate it.

Sounds to me like it is running just on the aux heat which will kill your electric bill. I would call a tech out ASAP to check the system out.

BTW, welcome to the site.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Would there be a way to adjust this on my thermostat? It is a totaline. I had a tech out about a month ago when we bought the home they did some work on the one outdoor unit and he showed me how to work the thermostat, as far as, putting into EH. He also told me the thermostat was junk. I'm not sure if that could add to the problem or not.

If you are running it in emergency heat, then it will only run the aux and you are going to pay high electric bills. If you have it in heat mode and it is only running your aux, there is a problem and a tech needs to look at it.

What work did the tech do last month on the outdoor unit?

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

First you are right,there is a problem that requires a service tech.
    I would suggest that you call a Rheem dealer for this problem.
    You should tell them on the phone that it is a Rheem heat pump.
    You should also tell them you want a heat pump trained tech as you cannot afford to pay for someone to learn on your job.

I know he put in a new compressor, and then he found a few other smaller things that needed changed out. It was a $ bill. I am not sure of all the smaller things because it was billed to the the seller. These were issues with the upstairs unit that were found during the home inspection. Which from the feeling of heat and watching the thermostat I feel like the upstairs unit is working much better, as you do not see the light on for Aux. heat. Downstairs I know its not in EH b/c he took it out once he left. When its on EH it shows up on the thermostat screen.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-24-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: removed price

Soynds like the first floor unit is running in cooling only. It is less costly to have the units looked at in the fall than the suprise electric bill.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I had thought about that too after reading some other threads. Even though I am on heat at the thermostat. If its running in cool would the house still heat close to my set temp? Also would that cause my line outside to be cold on the unit instead of warm? Both thermostats are the same and wired the same way as well.

The HP isn't working correctly and the electric elements doing the heating is the reason for the $500 spike in the bill. Call the company back ASAP. Switch to emergancy heat on that system untill they come out.

It definitly sounds like there is a problem with the lower floor heat pump. You said the "Aux red light is on even when the unit isn't running"? That sounds.....odd.
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

bradly

this is your first winter heating season?

you are positive you actually have a HP system and not an AC system with heat strips?

yes, probably a cheap thermostat. if you set thermostat on EH, then you are running straight heat strip which could account for your bill.

post mdl number on outside condenser.

IMO

Yes it is a heat pump system by Rheem 10 seer. Model # RPKA-025JAZ, and the other one is RPKA-031JAZ. The Thermostat is not set on EH. But the red light showing Aux. heat is basically always on. Even if the temp degree is 1* difference when it starts up it seems like it starts in Aux Heat. The one outdoor unit has been frozen and not running for awhile, the 031 unit. Which, I believe is the downstairs unit and actually just a minute ago I checked it and its running and the line has thawed the ice off. But then again it is about 40 outside, compared to 25. I am not sure if that has a difference but before that it has not been defrosted for awhile. Like over a week.

System Defrost happens on it's own....not controlled by the T-Stat.......

It could be wired wrong at the t-stat....did you change the t-stat or is it the original one?
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast