Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

Hey everyone, I don't post much but I have been watching for a while. I thoght maybe I could gain some insight. I did a leak check on a Ducane split yesterday and had a hard time recharging the system, just couldnt seem to clear the glass. I tried the usual by putting jug of 22 in bucket of hot water, and gave up after a few hours, and I guess I'm going to go back on a warm day to top charge off. Is there any tips or tricks you guys want to donate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What was the ambient?

did you find the leak ?
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Weigh it in!
    The Model tag should tell you where to start.

Check the superheat and subcooling!

Was this high efficiency (12 SEER or higher)?
    TXV or piston?

Unless it was too cold to put the refrigerant in, I'm thinking its overcharged now. Paint over the sight glass, you dont want to use that on residential stuff.

Outside ambient was about 55F, I've got a 30 degree deltaT across indoor coil, in at 70 out at 40, suction press. 35 discharge press. 115, suction temp at comp. 50 degree, these are approx. readings from my recollection 2 days ago. So I'm pretty sure I'm undercharged. Just looking for some tips and tricks to move r-22 into unit at low ambient temp.

gotta...

Gotta get that head pressure up...try wrapping a tarp or sheet of plastic around the condenser

Now there is a possible answer I am looking for. Air mechanix, so your saying by driving the head press. up this will help move refrigerant into system at low ambient?

Originally posted by docholiday
    Paint over the sight glass, you dont want to use that on residential stuff.
    What color Doc?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

30 degree drop? You ain't movin' much air! Do the customer a favor, go back on a warm day. Wrapping the coil simulates a warmer day but most charging charts ask outdoor temp. What is "outdoor temp" on a 55 degree day with plastic around the coil? If charging a piston system properly, you need indoor wet bulb. In cool weather, so low it is off the chart.

Edit

[Edited by danj on 04-06-2005 at 09:16 PM]
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

Thanks bald loonie. Waiting for warm day. and as for the above statement about painting the sight glass on residential stuff, what do you suppose he's talking about, we all know superheat says it all.

we don't charge until 70 outdoor,....but i do remeber last year on here they were talking about tents or maybe turkey blinds or something to go over condenser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast