hello from masscouple - searching for answers

hello from masscouple - searching for answers

Hi,

Short time reader - newest members - we were hoping to place a question.

Intros - we are home owners in Chelmsford Massachusetts and have been heating our home with Oil since we bought in 2001. We have had some upgrades - new tank, burner, boiler, and are doing some renovations - so we are down to a single zone. We are ready for 3 full zones.

We have replacement windows and think we are fairly insulated, but the temps really dived down in the Northeast and we haven't seen it this cold in about 6 years. We were not as insulated and prepared 6 years ago as we are tonight. That leads us to your forums with a few questions - maybe someone will entertain us with some answers.

Maybe you need more details - however the general premise of our questions comes from the loss or rapid reduction in degrees 'F' - per hour.

We lose about 2.5 degrees per hour - starting with an ambient room temperature 67 degrees 'F' - ending at 62 degrees in 120 minutes. The outside air temperature at 10pm is 5 degrees above 0 'F' - we are happily warmer inside!

So our question is - do you think our situation is normal? Above Normal? Or - Disappointing?

Thanks in advance! Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum for this topic. Cheers.

Ps - this is baseboard heat - forced hot water. The square footage we are talking about in this exercise is about 800sq. Single story ranch home with substandard insulation in crawl - space attic.

Welcome to the site,

I am not familiar with your set up, so I will be of no help...but now that you have made an introduction you might be better off posting in residential hvac. You will get more replies over there.

Again, welcome and hope you enjoy the forums.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Thanks for a quick reply! Yes we will take that advice. Thanks very much!

:]