Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by blownfuse99 View Post
    In Florida the homeowner would not be in any trouble. You should be allowed to protect youself without fear of going to jail.

that's not allowed in Canada, as demonstrated here.

The only argument seems to be trying to defend such an asinine law.

actually, thats not correct, you can defend yourself, but it's good bet your going to jail
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    that's not allowed in Canada, as demonstrated here.

The only argument seems to be trying to defend such an asinine law.

actually, thats not correct, you can defend yourself, but it's good bet your going to jail
    As in the example I provided where the nurse killed a man using too much force and got a suspended sentence, that is not necessarily the case. Kind of why we go before a judge rather than have automatic sentences.

Sorry you can not blow away the guy that comes to your house to ask you to take a survey even though you hate surveys. The law is basically a measured response to a perceived threat.

Fact: Every year, people in the United States use guns to defend themselves against
    criminals an estimated 2,500,000 times – more than 6,500 people a day, or once every 13
    seconds.151 Of these instances, 15.6% of the people using firearms defensively stated that
    they "almost certainly" saved their lives by doing so.
    Firearms are used 60 times more often to protect lives than to take lives.

151 Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Fall 1995

Fact: Of the 2,500,000 times citizens use guns to defend themselves, 92% merely brandish their gun or fire a
    warning shot to scare off their attackers.

Fact: When using guns in self-defense, 91.1% of the time not a single shot is fired.155

155 National Crime Victimization Survey, 2000
    Wow, the gun toting american isn't just a sterotype!

When I worked for the gas utility we had our u.s. brothers tell us about taking cops with them to do their monday morning lock-off's, now I know why!

I always hated walking onto some rural guys property to shut his gas off or collect money, some guys would sneak in but I'd make a point of backing the truck towards the house. beep...beep..beep

Only one guy ever brought a gun out I heard, mostly I'd just get the mean dog released or tears from the wife.
    Last edited by Roddy73; 01-25-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: bad spelling

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01...ked-attackers/

This poor guy is probably going to jail, even though he was under physical attack from fire bombers.

This is very disturbing.
    In a free state such as Florida, there would be no charges filed against the homeowner.

Guy should have used a rifle and taken them out.

It seems that in Texas, self defence means the right to defend oneself, one's property, one's family and one's home from an intruder. In Canada, self defence means the right to run from an intruder.
    We do it right... after lunch!

I don't think this would happen in Canada and many blue states because the HO would be afraid to shoot intruders who hit him with a baseball bat much less juveniles which they were. Check this video and story out. Thank you, thank you very much

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crim...uld-be-robbers

“I opened the door, went over here and right off the bat, he hit me with a bat,” Crawford said.
    The top of his skull was split open by the blow, but Crawford didn’t go down. He drew the handgun he was holding down on the hooded and masked invaders.
    “I don’t answer the door at night without a weapon, so I shot him. Shot the kid next to him,” Crawford said. “The other one was running.”
    Pensacola Police later arrested the two wounded suspects when they showed up at a local hospital to get treatment. The third was later found at a nearby home. They are 15-year-old Earl Benard, 17-year-old Nathaniel Nichols and 18-year-old Curtis Crenshaw.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by wundumguy View Post
    It seems that in Texas, self defence means the right to defend oneself, one's property, one's family and one's home from an intruder. In Canada, self defence means the right to run from an intruder.
    In Texas, we have the right to defend ourselves, other persons, our property, and other people's property with lethal force. Does not matter how we store the gun, I have several. All are loaded and ready to fire. Desk, truck, door, other door, and you get the idea. Oh yeah, and even trespassers can be killed but I think there is a warning procedure for that, like 3 times told or something in conjunction with posted "don't do that" things. Then there is also a "sudden passion" defense if you whack someone, but that is pretty much limited to domestic disputes.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

You guys can sleep easy now, in Canada common sense prevailed.

In a move that acknowledges the difficulty of prosecuting people who feel forced to act in self-defence, Crown attorneys have dropped two gun charges against an Ontario man who shot at masked intruders firebombing his home, saying they had no “reasonable prospect of conviction.”
    http://www.nationalpost.com/news/cha...391/story.html

They still have a couple of unsafe storage charges against him but will end up having to drop those also. They will hold out on those for a bit just to save them some face.

Did the fire bombers go to jail or did they just get put in "time out" for a little while.

wow, I am impressed. LEO that has come to there senses. although it's disappointing they dropped the charges because they don't think they can win, instead of it's the right thing to do
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345