Just a random guy

Hello. I am just a random guy with a dumb question. I need to have my furnace replaced. Question is whether I should replace my home A/C at the same time. The A/C works well but it is 16-17 years old, so probably pretty inefficient and -- as with all of us -- it won't live forever. Our contractor (who is very reputable and I trust) says it is more convenient for them to do both at once, and thus cheaper for me (labor savings). To get the A/C too will cost me an extra $ (for a Carrier 5 ton unit, with all installation, etc.). Should I do both,or wait till the AC dies before replacing it?
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-23-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: removed price

No prices allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Welcome to the site!

Where are you from?

Here in wi I would recommend a heat pump instead of ac. Could save you some dough on the gas bill.

BTW I would definitely recommend replacement now on a 16 year old unit.

Welcome to the site,

I agree with Chuck...you would be better off to do it all at once and get a nice matched system.

Enjoy the forums...now that you have made an introduction, you might try posting in the residential hvac forum where you can get more responses and information to help in your decision.

Take care.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I am in Maryland. Being totally uneducated (at least when it comes to HVAC), I did not realize there was any relationship between the furnace and A/C, so wouldn't have given any thought to doing both at the same time.