Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by detroit_pierogi
    Gentlemen,

I notice that when people ask questions, generally they receive replies asking more questions.

It was suggested to me to get 3 bids and then come back and report to you what I found.

However, it seems to me that when I do so, you will want to know this and that about my house, where I live, etc.

Instead, could you give me some workable list of questions about my situation that you would need answered in order to make some suggestions ?

I'll give you some info to start, and you can tell me what else you want to know:

House built in 1979
    2 Furnaces - same models
    2 AC units - one 2 ton, one 2.5 ton
    All 4 units are the original article - 26 years old
    I live in Atlanta, GA
    The house is 2 stories, with the upper level about half as big as the lower.
    One set of ducts goes to only 1/2 of the lower level.
    The other set of ducts goes to the other half of the lower level and the entire upstairs.
    The house is not tremendously well insulated.
    It is on a slab.
    It has vaulted ceilings.

In addition, it likes long walks on the beach, cozying up by the fireplace, reading, and traveling.

This way, I will have much more of a clue about what may be appropriate for my house before the sales guys visit.
    If you were my father.....

Id suggest that you do your own load calculation. (manual J)

Get three quotes on an 80 % furnace, with 13 seer cooling.

Get a 10 year parts AND labor warranty. (not available on the internet)

Trane has a 10 + 10 for around an additional G to cover both of the systems your talking about.

You have been a good sport.

You deserve a good reply.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Don't lissen to the guy that says not to get a high end system. If your gonna move don't, but if your staying in your home yes.

A properly designed and installed 2-speed a/c with a VS blower provides superior comfort,quiet operation, and will eventually pay for itself.

Giving up the extra money to have the job done right will have you enjoying the future benefits.

Just like your car can operate at variable speeds to handle different conditions your air condition system uses variable speeds to adjust to the indoor conditions of your home.
    "Football Season again finally"

Thumbs down upgrades

Dont be short sighted get the best system you can afford.TRANE is best quality if it is installed by a reputable dealer ask for refrences of customers with similar equiptment, if there any good they will have plenty. If you don't choose wisely your stuck, you don't want to replace it prematurely because you went cheap.Suck it up spend the bucks and for GOD sakes do your homework B.B.B. ,contractors licence board, your neighbors call the local distributor for trane ask them they will steer you in the right direction.GOOD LUCK!!! buy for comfort never take the low bid .look at the wall of shame thats what low bidders leave in their wake.

Re: upgrades

Originally posted by airmn38
    Dont be short sighted get the best system you can afford.TRANE is best quality if it is installed by a reputable dealer ask for refrences of customers with similar equiptment, if there any good they will have plenty. If you don't choose wisely your stuck, you don't want to replace it prematurely because you went cheap.Suck it up spend the bucks and for GOD sakes do your homework B.B.B. ,contractors licence board, your neighbors call the local distributor for trane ask them they will steer you in the right direction.GOOD LUCK!!! buy for comfort never take the low bid .look at the wall of shame thats what low bidders leave in their wake.
    Trane is exceptional equipment there is no arguement about it, you can tell too by the way they over price their equipment!

Trane is a good choice but your paying sticker price because of the name, the name is big because the cosnuemr for yeras had paid for Trane laods of advertising.

Shop high end competitors equipment and save your self some money!

Unless money is not an issue and I think it was or you would not be here!
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Consider a Carrier Infinity System,search Infinity,on this site and see what other home owners think of theirs!!

I still would like to know what kind of cars you sell

What issues if any do you have with the current system? Uneven heat, allergies, high energy bills etc. What you should be asked are the things you want out of a new system. If the ducting is an issue then have the issues included in your proposal. I didn't see you mention problems with air flow and such.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

You will end up with better operating costs in Atlanta with a dual fuel system using an 80% furnace for backup than you will using a 90%+ efficient gas furnace as the primary heat source. You save a bit on equipment by using an 80% instead of 90+% furnace, and can put the difference into upgrading the proposed air conditioner into a heat pump and adding the additional controls required.

I had it in my house in Decatur a few years back, and just had it done to my condo in Chamblee now that I have moved.

Variable speed furnaces are great stuff no matter which setup you end up choosing. Infinity is great too.

Finally, depending on how the place is set up, you may want to consider zone control on the larger system to help even out temperatures between the two floors. I haven't seen you say that it's a problem, but it usually is whenever you have one unzoned system running two floors.

Originally posted by bluetooth751
    Don't lissen to the guy that says not to get a high end system. If your gonna move don't, but if your staying in your home yes.

A properly designed and installed 2-speed a/c with a VS blower provides superior comfort,quiet operation, and will eventually pay for itself.
    "Eventually it will pay for itself".......

When?

20 years?

Dont you think a 13 SEER single speed system with a VS blower, will deliver basically the same comfort as a 2 speed 17 SEER system ?

Now factor in cost......

How long does a 2 speed system take to pay back if you live in Atlanta?

There is no need for a 90% furnace living in Atlanta either.

13 SEER cooling, 80% furnace.....with a 10+10 warranty.

And since you put all that cash into a New System, get a "Vision Pro" t-stat to go with it.

[Edited by miami mike on 04-06-2005 at 08:37 PM]

~Albert Camus

Originally posted by miami mike
    Originally posted by bluetooth751

"Eventually it will pay for itself".......

When?

20 years?

Dont you think a 13 SEER single speed system with a VS blower, will deliver basically the same comfort as a 2 speed 17 SEER system ?

Now factor in cost......

How long does a 2 speed system take to pay back if you live in Atlanta?

There is no need for a 90% furnace living in Atlanta either.

13 SEER cooling, 80% furnace.....with a 10+10 warranty.

And since you put all that cash into a New System, get a "Vision Pro" t-stat to go with it.

Many factors come in to play on the length of time a 2-speed will pay for itself. Most apparent would be the sell price of the system.

Since we usually design for peak conditions yes I think a 2-speed outdoor unit would provide more comfort. (Longer run times during mild seasons and high humidity).

There is nothing wrong with a 90% furnace in Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised if soon we won't be able to purchase anthing less than a 90%. 80% is still inefficient. Why buy 5 gallons of gas and pour 2 gallons on the ground. Here in the New Orleans area getting a 90% furnace takes an act of congress. I would like to sell more, but no one stocks them.

Infinity/Evolution is a great system. Easy to use and customers love them.

I hope you are a homeowner that can't justify the extra benefits of a high end system, and not a contractor.

[Edited by miami mike on 04-06-2005 at 08:37 PM]
    "Football Season again finally"

Post the numbers.

How long to re-coup the money 13 SEER VS a 16-17 SEER system. Its a " two stage" cooling system in Atlanta ?

How long?

Im a homeowner?

I have TWICE AS MANY POSTS AS YOU..........

Im simply an honest tech.

[Edited by miami mike on 04-06-2005 at 11:22 PM]

~Albert Camus

Originally posted by miami mike
    I have TWICE AS MANY POSTS AS YOU..........
    [Edited by miami mike on 04-06-2005 at 11:22 PM]
    Suffering from Posting Envy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12