Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refrig pressure

I have a 1 year old goodman 1.5 ton heat pump. I am going to call somebody before i turn it to cooling but this morning it was 60 outside and the room was 60 and the unit was running puting out cold air (set point was 70).The pressures on the unit were 100 psi on high and 90 on low. What might be the problem. I am not a tec but just interested.

sounds like compressor not running

Smile

Pressures should not be that close to equal. However I can't realy make a diagnosis over the net and I'm not supposed to either. Rules is rules. Another factor is where the guages were connected to a heat pump, the quality and accuracy of the guages. If that is the true readings, be prepared for a long day since the possible causes are mostly all time consuming.

It sounds like you might have had both guages on the high pressure, and may be low on charge.

Or bad rev valve, compressor, stuck metering device,etc,etc,etc.

But you need a service tech to check it to know.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

if you are not a tech. why are you putting gauges on this thing.

i smell an internet purchace/diy install.

now you are going to figure out why it is not a better deal than a professional install, and it's only a year old.

Wait for service, its mild out and you can do without it till he/she gets there.

i think Bill might be on to something. call the internet company you purchased from and see how helpful they can be.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

60 outside and 60 room temp stat at 70 and system running
    put guages on small line and big line i would bet
    while unit in heat pump mode
    call for service and have it checked out the right way
    heatpumps are not diy friendly

I did install it myself and and bought it my self. But i did have a buddy who is a h&v mech at work start it up and check everything. I did a 500% better install than any unit i have ever seen installed. Tired of getting ripped off. I had a 4 ton carrier installed 3 years ago by a well known company here in richmond and had many non equipment related problems. I should take the to take pictures for the wall of shame. I have been a inst. tech for 30 years and know how it is when you see somebody doing your job. Do any of you replace your own brake pads on your car. I am a diyer and find h%v work interesting and have been reading this forum for over a year. A lot of you are too sensitive. If I won't to buy a heat pump and sit it in my backyard and set fire to i will,who cares...At least i tried . Thanks to the others who gave helpful info....

%

Don't worry, we won't report your ip address to the EPA...

GOODMAN STRIKES AGAIN!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

If you aren't epa certified you have no right putting gauges on your A/C. You don't know what the pressures mean because you don't know what you are doing. It is nice that you admire us HVAC guys and would like to be just like us, but you are going about it all wrong. I know exactly what is wrong but I'm not going to tell you. What I can tell you is that you are screwed. And the funny part is that you have screwed yourself. If you did such a great install why doesn't it work? Answer, you didn't know what you were doing and now your unit has failed. Let this be a lesson to all you other DIYers and hvac wannabes.

I could buy three units for what i saved doing it myself. Like i said it has run fine for over a year. The unit just heats and cools my shop. The one on my house has been down about 4 times the first year and about 4 times the next year that i had to pay.I guess they screwed me too. I would like to know where the good techs are. I have never seen one. Well I am taking this site off my favorites now, too many sensitive people.........by

Originally posted by strammell
    I did install it myself and and bought it my self. But i did have a buddy who is a h&v mech at work start it up and check everything. I did a 500% better install than any unit i have ever seen installed. Tired of getting ripped off. I had a 4 ton carrier installed 3 years ago by a well known company here in richmond and had many non equipment related problems. I should take the to take pictures for the wall of shame. I have been a inst. tech for 30 years and know how it is when you see somebody doing your job. Do any of you replace your own brake pads on your car. I am a diyer and find h%v work interesting and have been reading this forum for over a year. A lot of you are too sensitive. If I won't to buy a heat pump and sit it in my backyard and set fire to i will,who cares...At least i tried . Thanks to the others who gave helpful info....
    %
    If you've been reading this forum for over a year, you're bound to have come across a post similar to yours and could only imagine what to expect when you broached the DIY factor.

It isn't an issue of sensitivity. It's one of legality. It is not legal for an uncertified person to handle refrigerant. This includes installing a gauge manifold onto any refrigerant circuit.

Oh, I can see why some of us might get testy. We often have to come up with the fee to take the EPA test, NATE, and other tests of competency out of our own pockets. For those who take such things to heart, it usually equates to a qualified, competent technician who knows how to install and service a system so it more than likely won't break down after just a year of operation.

Without knowing beans about your installation and application other than the scant info you've posted here, I'm surmising the following issues are extant:

a) system isn't sized properly (1.5 tons for a shop...what kind of shop?) and short cycles constantly, leading to compressor death.

b) system is sized properly but is choked for airflow. System ran all winter without managing to trip high pressure switch and as a result ran a high head pressure at the indoor coil. Compressor eventually said "to hell with this" and cratered.

c) system wasn't cleaned up properly after install and debris trashed the compressor valves.

d) your hvac buddy is pissed you haven't paid him yet so he came by and did a little sunshine recovery when you weren't home. Either that or he needed to get high and since he was intimate with your system, he helped himself to your schraders, again when you weren't home.

e) your scrawny, shaggy haired neighbor kid's the huffer.

f) the hvac gods are not pleased.

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast