Thread: Carrier Efficiencies

Post Likes
    I narrowed down my bids on two HP systems: Carrier Performance 38YXA048 with variable speed air handler and the Infinity system of the same size (38YDB/FE4AN). I've heard alot of good things about the premium Infinity system but its EER is lower than the standard system and does not qualify for our energy company rebate. SEER and HSPF are slightly higher 14.5 vs 14.1 and 9 vs 8.6 for the Infinity but our high summer temps. (often >100°F) make me think EER is more important. Considering these facts, is the Infinity worth the $600 premium?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Two speed is well worth having.Consider that if your system is sized large enough for the warmest temp., then it is too large most of the time.

If designed for 95°F ,how many hours in the cooling season is it actually 95°?

Two speed with do a super job of dehumidification in cooling,customers love them here in humid Florida.

Do a search ,on this site,"Infinity"and see what other home owners thing .

Get the Ifinity Control,requires FE air handler,even if you get the YXA instead of the YDB.

The power company wants a high EER ,to reduce their "peaks",you'll run in low most of the time,saving more money in the long run.

Post Likes
    What do you need to match to recieve the rebate? It can be done, and comfort should not be pushed to the side.

Post Likes
    Utility Rebate requires a minimum of 14 SEER, 12 EER and 8 HSPF. The infinity is low on the EER (about 11.8) while the performance series in about 12.2 (based on contractor information). I was just surprised that Carrier's best system couldn't match the cheaper system. Carrier's brochure also implies that the Infinity is a little nosier that the Performance Series although both are still quite good. We don't have as high humidity in CA as in FL so I was not sure if the two speed compressor and fancier controls were worth the extra money (which includes a higher Carrier rebate for the Infinity.

Post Likes
    Get the FE4 air handler and Infinity control either way. The only question left is which heat pump to get to go with it.

I have a YXA at home myself, and it's still very nice- not to insult the YDB by any means. The YXA is 76 decibels, and the YDB is 75 (in this size; in smaller sizes the YXA is the quieter of the two). Only the YDB can communicate directly with the front panel of the Infinity thermostat, giving it a way to put up alarms, diagnostic information, and trouble codes right on the screen there.

The YDB can hit 14.5 SEER/11.1 EER/9.0 HSPF if you go up one size on air handler (FE4ANB006). With some systems that's a bad idea because of a loss of dehumidification, but I don't see a problem doing that with a two-speed Infinity system in California. The YXA with the same air handler is 14.1/12.05/8.6. So yes, your Carrier guy is right; only a YXA will qualify you for the rebate.

Having two speeds is nice in any climate; you'll have to decide for yourself if the price difference is too big to make it worth it for you, though.

You may also want to ask about which resistance heater is right package for you, too. While it's common to have an all-or-nothing setup, it's also possible to get a multi-stage heating element that the Infinity system has complete control over. I'm not sure where in California you are to know how much of an issue that may be, nor do I know if your electric meter registers peak demand or just the total consumption.

[Edited by wyounger on 04-06-2005 at 10:05 AM]

Post Likes
    Id personally go for the utility rebate in your situation.

Post Likes
    I believe carrier has a program going for hi eff equip, 1000 dollor rebate or 10 yr part and labor. ask you contractor

Post Likes
    I am installing 58mvp120 and 38ydb060 with Infinity when we get slow in my home.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    just put that in our admin offices at our shop and use it for a live lab and trainning

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in