Necessary to evac prior to new charge?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I had a new Lennox split system installed (G60V furnace and HS 26 Condenser. When the installers charged the system, I did not notice them evacuate the system prior to charging. Is this normal practice?

Also I feellike I have buyers remorse, I maybe should have gone with a condenser that uses r410a? Should I have them change it out with HSX 15 and new coil? You see the option was not given to me initially, not til I found this site was I aware that there existed r22 and r410.

A leak check, and vacum should have been done.

If you swap out the a/c now, they may ask you to pay full price for the new and give you nothing for the original in return.

So it would be like buying 2 units,
    Or they could be real nice and just have you pay the difference.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

410a is not the end-all, be-all of refrigerants.
    Keep the one you have, until it needs replaced.
    Check and see if there is an extended warranty available.
    You may need it, if they skipped such a basic process.

Evacuation is to prolong the usable life of the equipment, plus lower your utility bill.

Originally posted by kdawg
    I had a new Lennox split system installed (G60V furnace and HS 26 Condenser. When the installers charged the system, I did not notice them evacuate the system prior to charging. Is this normal practice?
    Depends on which co. you go with. Most companies it's not, though.

Myself, I always pull a vacume after installing a new unit, it's just good practice,

If they did not properly evacuate your system, they have shortened the life of the compressor, increased its operating cost and reliability, violated manufacturers instructions and EPA rules and are just plain stupid.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

people are so worried about brands they don,t understand
    its all in the company. a bad install means problems and
    it doesnt matter what brand or how much you pay.

Perhaps you weren't around when they pulled the vacuum.This happens to me often.

Somehow there are installers that are to this day never seen with a reclaimer also.

Smile

You must be one of Diceman's customers....

any time a system is opened to the atmosphere it needs to be evacuated of non condensibles and a filter/drier installed.

you will not notice any difference between a 22 or 410 system. they are both just refrigerants. 410 is just enviromentally friendly. which really shouldn't matter since there should be no leaks in the system anyway.

22 will be around for at least another 20 years by which time you will probably need to replace the system anyway, and who knows what type of refrigerant will be in use by that time?

Sounds like it is fine for me to keep the HS 26 r22 system, but because it was not evacuated I will have them return. Will reclaiming and evacuating now be as effective? What else should be done? Or do I have them replace the whole unit?

Is it a good idea to guy a tank of r22 to store just in case in 15 years price gouging is immenent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast