Thread: Direct Venting vs Natural Venting

Post Likes
    Hi all,
    I am considering a HI-Efficiency gas boiler replacement for my 50 year old cast iron oil boiler. They only drawback I see is that the direct vent has to go to side of the house (un-paved shared laneway) and it will not look very nice. Two black PVC pipes sticking out from the foundation and running about 3 feet high. The drawbacks I see are
    1. Unsightly
    2. Moisture problems with the brick veneer
    3. Can be easily plugged by animals or by mischief
    4. Coring the limestone foundation may cause cracks.

Is there any reason why Hi-Efficiency boilers can not use natural vent (i.e. Chimney) with an appropriate liner? Is the a problem with condensation in the flue gas (100 °F)

If a still want to use my chimney with an appropriate liner what other hi-efficiency gas boilers >= 88 % (AFUE) are available?

I want to consider all my options because I see this as a long term investment.

thanks in advance
    John K

Post Likes
    Why not use the chimney as a chase. The pvc pipe can be installed in your existing chimney. This will alleviate all those concerns you posted.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by smarks
    Why not use the chimney as a chase. The pvc pipe can be installed in your existing chimney. This will alleviate all those concerns you posted.
    Good suggestion.

Also, local code may require your vent to be 7' above that shared lane.(NFGC does)

Post Likes
    Som people do get some ice dams forming on the roof as cool exhuast condenses and freezes as soon as it hits the cold air. May want to insulate the PVC going up the chimney.

Post Likes
    Direcr Vent High Efficiency up to 93% but cost about a third more as much as conventional which with induced draft is about 83% Takes a number of years to make up the cost difference.but if you can afford it go for the best why not You'll have it for twenty years. Meanwhile you'll go through 3 or 4 high priced cars in that time with lots more maintenance

Post Likes
    Originally posted by smarks
    Just be sure nothing else is venting into the chimney. I would hate to see the water heater flue melt the pvc for the boiler.

Post Likes
    If you are going to install a high efficiancy boiler it would be foolish to keep the gas water heater. Buy an indirect heater to match the boiler. You will save on fuel and not have the problem previously posted. Fuel prices are not coming down any time soon if ever.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by cbmechanical
    Direcr Vent High Efficiency up to 93% but cost about a third more as much as conventional which with induced draft is about 83%

Just out of curiosity, up here, when I add a control like a tekmar to a standard boiler, there is not much of a price difference. Is it the same down there?
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in