Hybrid View

I'm interested in a used residential window AC unit that is rated at about 2 1/2 tons of cooling 30,000 BTU, the problems I have with it is the owner says it was acquired in 2000 but it looks older and one substantial factor in this is that there is label on the back that says..

MFG. Date 0995

Now originally I thought that meant 1995 but now I realize it almost might mean 09 of 1995 (course he could be telling the truth, though but I'm unsure)

The reason I have all of these questions is he says it has low use 3 summers and I want a lot of reliability out of this unit and not for it to need a recharge

The model is Sears Model 106.9722990
    (I did try to find some info on the net about it but couldn't find any)

Can anyone confirm that the unit is 5 years old? And or give me a expected life since it's used?

I realize some of you might not recommended used but I'm trying to work a budget and I'm willing to buy a new one should this unit fail..

[Edited by theemaster on 04-03-2005 at 11:38 PM]

realize some of you might not recommended used but I'm trying to work a budget and I'm willing to buy a new one should this unit fail..
    Why risk spending money twice, then? Get a new one with a warranty and call it a day.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

This is just a 'guestimate' on my part.

I'd say the unit was manufactured in 95 but by the time it got sold, it was probably 2000 like the guy said.

However, I do run across alot of folks that say....
    "what do you mean its broke? It practicly brand new, I got it 3 years ago"
    I call the office for warranty info and they say the equipment was installed 11 years ago. Go figure.
    Extend to others the grace that God has given you.

Call sears and ask them! and get the price of a new unit
    add the price you are going to pay for this one and realise that with all of the money you have spent you could have bought a unit that would have kept you comfortable.

BTW : a neighbor of mine bought a unit used , and used it for 2 seasons - the compressor went out in it - and it was junked and I knew it to be new and 2 yrs old-

Talking

I pick those things out of the trash, fix them and sell them at my garage sales. I usually get 50 bucks.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."