Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

i had new trane system:
    (92% vs, 2 zones
    trane #2ttr2060 5 ton 13 seer
    trane #tuy120r9v5w 112,00 btu
    trane # txc065s3 5 ton evap)
    installed in new construction house(2,500 sq/ft ),.after moving in 1 month ago and using the heat the house seems cold with t-stat set at 70, heater turns on and runs for about 10 minutes satisfys t-stat shuts off
    house is insulated 1st floor r-13, second floor r-19 all tyvec.,.....so,...i purchased the hvac-cal for homeowner use. it was everything advertised ++++++,.great product!.....did the room by room ,...suprise! system seems to be way oversized, i am waiting for the contractor to call back now to address these concerns,.....i understand that in the summer if the system is oversized the ac will short cycle and cool to quickly and not remove humidity.....
    would the system being oversized cause the problem i am having with the heat also?

below are the totals from the hvac-calc:
    sensible-24,522
    latent-5,405
    heat gain-29,927
    heat loss-31,386
    no fudge factor added, with these #s what would be a correct size heater/ac?
    also what are my options on correcting these issues?
    I am looking for input/advice so i can discuss all my options with the installer.
    any help would be greatly appreciated,.
    thanks in advance,
    Mike

The heat loss sounds low to me but could be correct. If your figures are correct it is definately oversized.
    get other opinions in writing and talk to your contractor or builder. Get satisfaction or live with it or sue.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

5 tons for 2500 sq ft new construction in any climate seems very high unless very poorly built which I doubt. My guess is he didn't properly design the ducts & zoning system either. Besides the comfort aspects, costs will be high and equipment life short. You might find a competent competitor or someone from the Trane supply house to review the installation and your load calcs. I wouldn't put up with it if they are really that far off.

those factors do not add up to 2500 sq.ft.
    seems low. 2500 sq ft would be a 4 ton at the least.
    temp depends on the house and where the stat is located.
    my house is not warm till it reaches 73 or 74 degrees.
    i think 10 minutes is fine which will give you around 3 cycles an hour.

4 Ton? Seems like 3ton too me?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

5 tons for 2500 sqft!? You didn't say where you were located but I'm in Virgina and I've got a 50 yr old, 2200 sqft house I'm cooling with 3 tons. A good rule of thumb for our area is approx 700-800 sqft/ton.

You'll want to get that issue straighten out size an oversized unit will not dehumidify properly leading to all kinds of IAQ issues. It's better to be slightly undersized for dehumidification purposes plus it will eliminate any unecessary cycling. Looking at your load numbers it looks like a 2 ton unit will do the job. It will run longer and dehumidify the air reducing the potential for mold.

Look at it this way, you'll get more storage space when you go from a 5 ton AHU to a 2 ton AHU.

Good luck.

Sean
    Sean Cantrell

24k sensible? thats probably a 3-3.5 ton system. The furnace is a 45k, but you probably cant drive a 3-4 ton system with it. You must be i the deep south to have only that much heat requirement. Sounds like San Diego.

[Edited by docholiday on 04-03-2005 at 09:50 PM]

thanks, everyone for the input, I appreciate all of! its sounding more like I am oversized, the only question is how much?
    to ansurer some questions:
    i am in philadelphia, pa.

also, i didn't post earlier but the air flow seems loud on second stage,...would adjusting the dip swith's to lower the cfm work and just haveing the outdoor unit replaced to a 3 ton/3.5 ton solve the problem? or does the airhandler have to be replaced also?
    thanks again,...mike

try cracking open a window..

x-pensivewino, I suggest you give me a call in the morning, when you are at your computer and you and I can check your calculations.

don
    don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

while re-checking my reports i found i missed 2 small walls in the 3rd floor rec room, the updated #'s
    sensible-25,938
    latent-5,405
    heat gain-31,343
    heat loss-32,876
    sorry for the change,...mike

Don,..that would be great,..I would realy appreciate it thanks,,..mike

moflo,...thats some funny stuff,..lol,....hmm,..what could i use to crack it with.,...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast