Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Last year I help a friend install a Luxaire 3 ton 12 SEER
    condensing unit with a 100K 80 percent heater using a 4 ton blower package (1600 CFM's)and a 4 ton coil ). It was a package deal and the manufacturer said to use an orfice. This year I'm installing the same system in one of my customers homes. The model number of the heater changed, but everything else is the same. Now they recommend a TXV which comes with the package deal. However the txv manufacturer says you have to use a start kit which I have to pay extra for. So I was thinking of using the orfice that came with the condenser like my friend did in last years model.Would this be okay. I'm pissed off, This was a package deal with everything included in the price. they should also supply the start kit (start relay, start capacitor,etc)because they gave me a valve that needs a start kit. Any sugestions. I called tech support 5 times but the tech guy is never there.

Arrow TXV or not TXV...

Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    Last year I help a friend install a Luxaire 3 ton 12 SEER
    condensing unit with a 100K 80 percent heater using a 4 ton blower package (1600 CFM's)and a 4 ton coil ). It was a package deal and the manufacturer said to use an orfice. This year I'm installing the same system in one of my customers homes. The model number of the heater changed, but everything else is the same. Now they recommend a TXV which comes with the package deal. However the txv manufacturer says you have to use a start kit which I have to pay extra for. So I was thinking of using the orfice that came with the condenser like my friend did in last years model.Would this be okay. I'm pissed off, This was a package deal with everything included in the price. they should also supply the start kit (start relay, start capacitor,etc)because they gave me a valve that needs a start kit. Any sugestions. I called tech support 5 times but the tech guy is never there.
    Install the TXV wiht out the start kit use a time delay 5 minutes on restart check the start. If you thknk you need the hard start add it... But I think you'll find with the time delay it will be okay. Or a digital tstat with a 5 minute time delay, but if they over ride it at the stat your going to have some start issues...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

on a 3 ton I agree.... why use the start kit? On some 5 tons some manufacturers put em in the unit at the factory... usually because they notice a severe light dimming. On a 3 ton I'd say try it without it.... Most digital thermostats have the time delay for the compressor built in....... Ahhhhhh another question..... That start kit shouldn't cost too much, so I am wondering why the excitement?

Exclamation

So, if they recommend start kit, then add one.
    What kind of compressor? Scroll or recp?

I was wondering the same thing as airconman,If you are installing a full system and it calls for one what is the big deal..

If you have 42yearexp I would think that you would know that by now, all unit's don't come with start relay-cap..

Because they all don't come with txv..

So bite the bullet and install time-delay or start kit.

Or are you just a hacker trying to save a buck,if so you'll be back to install one later.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Who did you buy it from that can't help you? Maye 42 minutes was already taken.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

They probably provided a non bleed txv and its remotely possible the compressor may have issues with starting under a load.

Typicle Janitrol job, nothing more than the minimum for the price yet expecting the performance of a quality system.

if the compressor is a scroll you should not need the kit
    if it recip you should put it in
    txv will not equalize fast enough and the compressor will have a tough time trying to start on a hot day
    most likely will go off on overload
    a scroll compressor can start under the load of a txv and should not cause a problem. also some manufactors recomend start kits for the scroll to
    put the start kit in and save your self a call back
    they dont cost enough not to

Originally posted by docholiday
    They probably provided a non bleed txv
    This is the key statement right here... Scroll or recip, if it doesn't bleed you will have problems.

I get the feeling that you bought this from ebay or something and I have no idea why you are getting help but if you did actually do this for a living you would not need to ask this question. Where do you buy a system in a package like yours? This all sounds very odd to me.

Ahhhhhh another question..... That start kit shouldn't cost too much, so I am wondering why the excitement?

If you have 42yearexp I would think that you would know that by now, all unit's don't come with start relay-cap..

Or are you just a hacker trying to save a buck,if so you'll be back to install one later.

He didnt say what he had 42 years experience doing. But it sounds like another HO / DIY trying to Save a buck

his next post will be asking where to install it

The odd part to me is not that he is asking but that he is getting answers.hummmmmmmmm?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Put the start kit on it, and be done with it.

UPG, switched to non bleed txv's last year.

But since they don't know what configuration your putting together, you have to order the start kit, YOUR distributor is suppose to know this.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

But since they don't know what configuration your putting together, you have to order the start kit, YOUR distributor is suppose to know this.

and having 42 yrs experience ......well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast